Mantu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, as for "history", basically the Mantu were a race of aliens that came into contact with the Kilrathi in about the 25th Century, I believe. There was a war, but it ended in a stalemate and the Mantu left. The Cats feared that they would return, which was one of the reasons for the fleet of Hakagas in Hari space, I do believe. I could be wrong about that, though (even though it's not even been a week since I re-read FA :eek:).

As for "believable fan fiction"... Frankly, I'm the last person you'd want to ask about that. :)

I don't remember where I read it, but I believe that the Mantu were fighting a winning war against the Kilrathi, but then left to fight another enemy on the other side of their borders. The other enemy beat the Mantu and the Mantu hasn't been a threat since.
When WCP came out I was hoping that the "bugs" were the Mantu, but they ended up being the Nephilim :-( Speaking of which, what IS there story. Why are they attacking? The Official Guide hints that the Niphilim may be under the control of someone/thing else since aliens that were encountered were not that creative.
Now what about the "Double-Helix" aliens? There is a mention of them in the Claw Marks and again in th Midway Manual. there called double-helix because of the shape of their ship, but no mention is ever made to what "they" look like.
And what about Blair. One of the Prophecy development people (his last name was Brown) mentioned that Bl;air wasn't killed. Does anyone know what was planned for the "return" of Blair?

>>Well, as for "history", basically the Mantu were a race of aliens that came into contact with the Kilrathi in about the 25th Century, I believe. There was a war, but it ended in a stalemate and the Mantu left. The Cats feared that they would return, which was one of the reasons for the fleet of Hakagas in Hari space, I do believe. I could be wrong about that, though (even though it's not even been a week since I re-read FA ).<<

Originally posted by Voice
Now what about the "Double-Helix" aliens? There is a mention of them in the Claw Marks and again in th Midway Manual. there called double-helix because of the shape of their ship, but no mention is ever made to what "they" look like.

Personally, I felt offended when the bugs proved NOT to be tha Mantu... It felt like the Shadows from Bab5 stopping one day and saying "Wait... is this Star Wars?! NO? Oh, awfully sorry to trouble You. Ta Ta!"

According to Claw Marks :

"From the information we have so far been able to interpret from H227's records, the Double Helix are a sentient race possessing space travel, and we are not ruling out the possibility they possess FTL drive technology. Physically, they appear to be carbon-based arthropods which communicate through scents and pheromones. Their name is derived from the double-helix shape of their spacecraft."

When were the Nephilim proved not to be the Mantu? I always thought their identity was still hazy.

It is stated in the Prophecy Gold manual that the bugs follow a completely different modus operandi than the Mantu. The Mantu apparently have quite a bit of documentation on the part of the Kilrathi, so we know that the bugs aren't them.

I just saw those notes as conjecture, that Confed Intel didn't have it down as certain fact. And what does the Nephilim talking prove? Are the Mantu mute?

The bugs and the mantu aren't the same for a variety of reasons:

a) The manuals tell us that confed doesn't believe they are the mantu, due to various reasons that have been mentioned

b) The method they used to attack. From what the kilrathi have said in the past, the mantu were attacking at a border. They don't seem to be far from Kilrathi space. If they had had wormhole tech they would have crushed the Kilrathi at the very begining of their confrontation as they opened a wormhole in the Kilrah system and attacked Kilrah itself.

c) We kicked the bug's asses. The Mantu were capable of whipping the asses of the Kilrathi rather easily. The Kilrathi were worried, at the peak of their military power, that the Mantu would easily destroy them. One confed ship would be unable to take out a Mantu fleet of the force the bugs came in, IMHO.

d) If they were the mantu, someone would have told us :). It's not worth keeping the identity of the mantu a mystery. You don't gain anything by saying, in the middle of the third game they're featured in, "oh yeah, and these are the mantu". If anything you'd want people to know pretty early in the first game.. heck, you'd maybe even want to put it on the box... 'THE MANTU ARE COMING'

e) The Kilrathi would know. They've seen the Mantu. They've fought with them. If these were the Mantu we would have found out about it from the Kats.

TC

I agree that the Nephillium arent the Mantu but there is something to remember when getting info about them from the Kilrathi. As they do with all enemies they have been unable to defeat they demonize them, making them seem far worse than they actually were. Its hard to tell between what they actually were and what they made them out to be. (a similar occurance is happening towards humanity)

Great...now you've implanted a fanatical drive in me to see a game about the Mantu. :) That would be cool, neh? It's on my wish list with the pre-WC game and Armada remake.

IIRC they were described as explorers so aslong as they are greeted warmly at first contact there should be no reason to have to fight them.

I think it'd be cool to play a game as the Mantu, a sort of Armada\MOO crosssover. (Moo... ;))

Well we dont really know anything about them enough to say if it would be cool or not.Though they did beat the cats so they do have that going for them.:)

it seems likely to assume that the warp gate tech could be new, so they might be testing it in KAT space
also the warpgate tech could be the star gods, certainly their sudden appearance shows this, and the Kats had had enough time since the first meeting to be sufficiently improved to the level the star gods promised to return at

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back