Making a game with a vision.

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
Been thinking this over and over...

I've been having this vision to make a game which can help people (especially my fellow Indonesians) understand more about morale issues, decision makings and consequences.

And I've been questioning myself, 'How can I make game that can offer a splendid gaming experience yet also enables them to appreciate the real life in a more optimistic fashion?'

Back in the 1980's then Chris Roberts visualize of integrating Hollywood-quality story with a blend of audio and visual techniques.
And now in the early 21st century, I'm planning to do something similar.

Just make it like Larry I, if you don´t fuck the hooker with a condom, you lose the game,because you get a gonorrea or siphilis.

iirc, Sierra got out of the business of making adventure games a few years back, so no more Larry.
Blame it on Vivendi.
(Sierra had a number of bombs, though, so its not entirely Vivendi's fault - although I do have a friend that works for another software company Vivendi owns, and he's told me some interesting things about Vivendi).

Has anyone?

HAS anyone ever played a game that makes you appreciates more the beauty of real life?

Yeah the game is called: Life & Death: The Brain.
in that game you are a neurosurgeon, it´s pretty good, you make surgeries, NMR, and other cool stuffs.

Re: Has anyone?

Originally posted by TheFraix
HAS anyone ever played a game that makes you appreciates more the beauty of real life?

Yes, Grand Theft Auto III.

Planescape Torment, i´m replying it for the 3rd time, the NPC are great, specially Morte and Fall-From-Grace.
It has great story,music,quest. But the best things are the dialogues, that you can have a Sucubus as a companion and you can enter a Brothel of Slating Intellectual Lusts

Originally posted by TheFraix
Been thinking this over and over...

I've been having this vision to make a game which can help people (especially my fellow Indonesians) understand more about morale issues, decision makings and consequences.

And I've been questioning myself, 'How can I make game that can offer a splendid gaming experience yet also enables them to appreciate the real life in a more optimistic fashion?'

Back in the 1980's then Chris Roberts visualize of integrating Hollywood-quality story with a blend of audio and visual techniques.
And now in the early 21st century, I'm planning to do something similar.

I don't think Wing Commander did anything for my view of real life. It is an escape from real life. A chance to be a hero. It also is very theraputic to my way of thinking. There is nothing so stress releiving as watching some Cats fry.

In any case you can't expect to teach real life values in a game. True you may be able to integratea few values that you think are good, but what will other people think of your values. Case in point, abortion. Some people value right to choice, others think that it is vile and disgusting. Which value would you teach? Which is the right one?

No, values must be taught by parents, church leaders, and teachers, rather than the "entertainment" industry. I'm not knocking Wing Commander as a game, but I don't pull my real life values from computer games.

Most people play Computer Games, to escape from the burdens of real life. They wan't thrills, they wouldn't a real life simulator

Originally posted by Ghost
Yeah the game is called: Life & Death: The Brain.
in that game you are a neurosurgeon, it´s pretty good, you make surgeries, NMR, and other cool stuffs.
I mostly remember sticking needles in my patients' eyes.

There are different types of games, and certain games are almost certainly not going to be great exposes on human nature. FPS games, for example, are not the place to go for deep, insightful elements. Space Combat sims are in this area, as well, although some provide deeper elements than an FPS.

The main areas for deep thought are adventure games and RPGs. Probably the best RPG in this area (and an excellent RPG in its own right) is Planescape: Torment, which chases the ideas of life and death, belief, and the ability of a man to change.
"What can change the nature of a man?"

Probably the best adventure game in this area (warning: about to date myself) is the old classic Infocom text adventure, "A Mind Forever Voyaging", which discussed the allure of fascism, and the consequences of giving up our rights. Its not really all that difficult of a game, but its one that everyone should be play through, and is easily worth the time it takes to track down a copy (and there's the added bonus that it'll probably come as part of an anthology with other excellent Infocom games).

Both of the above are excellent games, although A Mind Forever Voyaging doesn't have the same replay value of Torment. The latter has one of my favorite end sequences, and I often will start the game up just to run through the ending once again. Unfortunately, I can't do that at the moment, as I loaned it to a friend of mine (he'd just finished Neverwinter Nights, and hasn't played any other Bioware games).
Its also ironic that Ultima IX, the final game of the Ultima series (which had once had the reputation for having the sorts of things discussed here), was released mere days before Torment, and contained very, very little of value.

"I calculate that Fall-from-Grace is found attractive by the males of 372,658 species. Give or take 5."

Originally posted by Ghost
Just make it like Larry I, if you don´t fuck the hooker with a condom, you lose the game,because you get a gonorrea or siphilis.

or if you left the condom on you were chased by a cop.

Re: Re: Making a game with a vision.

Originally posted by Excelsis
I don't think Wing Commander did anything for my view of real life. It is an escape from real life. A chance to be a hero. It also is very theraputic to my way of thinking. There is nothing so stress releiving as watching some Cats fry.

In any case you can't expect to teach real life values in a game. True you may be able to integratea few values that you think are good, but what will other people think of your values. Case in point, abortion. Some people value right to choice, others think that it is vile and disgusting. Which value would you teach? Which is the right one?

No, values must be taught by parents, church leaders, and teachers, rather than the "entertainment" industry. I'm not knocking Wing Commander as a game, but I don't pull my real life values from computer games.

Want to know something funny. I was told by my LT.Colonel father that They are using remote control drone bombers (one was jus recently used called the predator) in the military now. very similar to playing wing commander cause they sit there at a console and fly it with a joystick and shoot guns and drop bombs sorta like in the movie toys (with robin williams).

hey, soon all of us WC fans could find jobs in the Air Force flying their planes. I read somewhere that the military is thinking about going all UAV.

Originally posted by Aries
hey, soon all of us WC fans could find jobs in the Air Force flying their planes. I read somewhere that the military is thinking about going all UAV.

I'm first in line cause I don't think they can disqualify me for my handicaps (eyes, Diabetes) if its gonna all be like a game. As you don't need a phsical to play a game:D

With all this talk of going to unmanned drones and automated weapons systems, I'm going to go ahead and dig my fallout shelter, since it's only a matter of time before you turn on MSNBC or CNN and hear, "Yeah, the Homeland Security Department is ready to debut the new computer system that will control our robotic armed forces, it's this really cool system called Skynet, and...

dude, you don't have to worry about that. the military may move to using more robots, but they'll be damned before they start taking orders from a robot.

You're missing the point. I don't think the military in the Terminator series really wanted to take orders from robots, they just took over.

Back