Mac User pls try priv9b

Gah.. I head back home (to my broadband connection but away from my grandfather's mac) the day you post this lol. Would have been fun to see how it works on a mac, but I can't do that so we get to rely on tha mac gamers out there. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Privateer on Mac

It plays great on Jaguar but the joystick doesn't work right on Panther (I've had the same problem with Vega Strike.)

There's alot of wierdness with ship upgrades:

- You can't add cargo space to the Tarsus

- The Orion, Century, and Galaxy all come with the same size cargo space (150 cubic meters) and you can't add cargo space to any of them.

- Proton torpedoes appear and act like fusion guns w/ a limited ammo supply but no power drain instead of a slow heavy-damage missile

- You can't put a generator, engine, or shield upgrade on a stock or milspec Broadsword

- I've yet to find a ship that takes the Shield/Heavy/multi-regenerator upgrade

- I've yet to find a ship that takes the Engine/Heavy/Multi-speed upgrade

- You have to sell you existing generator(s) to be able to buy the gun coolers and then repurchase your generator.

- There doesn't seem to be a cap on the number of ECM's you can buy

- When you purchase more armor/hull because yours is damaged, it just adds it instead of replacing the damaged armor/hull

- When you purchase better generators, shields, or repair systems it ust adds them on instead of replacing the older upgrade

Privateer is one of my all-time favorite games. Its great to be able to play it again.

--Chris

DEfinately give it a go.

downloading now.

Are any of the other old Origin games being remade for OSX? I loved strike commander.

bit torrent the releases?

these downloads could get hefty bandwidth wise, what about setting up a torrent release for the downloads, could help ease the bandwidth bill pain

the bugs you reported sounded like they were from 008
in 009 you can add cargo volume to the tarsus... unless I uploaded an old version

hellcatv said:
in 009 you can add cargo volume to the tarsus... unless I uploaded an old version

I'm not using a mac, but in the PC version it's working.

hellcatv said:

Ooops! Sorry about that.
I was using whatever the previous Mac version was (either 8 or 9a)

I've started on 9b and its definitely more playable: I can actually run away now when I'm out-gunned and so far the upgrade problems seem to be fixed. I'll check it out more fully when I've earned more money. The weapons (except for the torpedoes) seem more like the original game.

The backgrounds and asteroids look better too.

The configuration program works on Panther but not on Jaguar. Do I need to install some other program or package to get it to run in Jaguar?

What was broken in the Perry system? Let me know and I'll check it out.

--Chris (@registered but can't log in)

ack! I can't believe the config program doesn't work in Jaguar :-(

*sigh* wish I had a jaguar system to test it out on... the config program *should* work on jaguar... but I have no system to test on--it's a miracle the game itself works in Jaguar
can you tell me what the error is...Can you run /Applications/Utilities/Console
then run that application and see why it doesn't work.

You can also try getting X11 isntalled and see if that one works...

my ICQ # and AIM buddy name is 4863215...if I could get the config program working in jaguar I'd be happy...and I'll bet with a little chatting we could get it working for the 1.0 release

On Panther, I can't get comm option 0 to work - the request to land one.

Also, the music isn't working.

In the bars, when I click on someone I don't get a closeup of them as I did in the original game.

The MS sidewinder usb isn't working.

Other than that... fantastic! Keep up the good work.

Unregistered said:
On Panther, I can't get comm option 0 to work - the request to land one.

Also, the music isn't working.

In the bars, when I click on someone I don't get a closeup of them as I did in the original game.

The MS sidewinder usb isn't working.

Other than that... fantastic! Keep up the good work.

All comm option 0 should do is enable the landing zone squares/targets. I have yet to have any dialogue pop up with it.

Bartender/Fixer heads. . .
There aren't head shots in the PC version either. Just the bar.

Music is HellcatV's domain. Maybe you'll need to delet a config or add a config file like I did. I had to delete. You may have to add.

For music: if OSX is like the linux version, you'll need to rustle up a suitable timidity.cfg and a set of GUS compatible patchsets. Or use the oggs.

Unregistered said:
The weapons (except for the torpedoes) seem more like the original game.
What do you mean?

does the music work on Jaguar and just not in Panther?

I suspect somehow it's the same reason that the configurator program works on jaguar and not panther....

go to Applications/Utilities/Console.app and run the configurator and the game and paste any new text that appears in that program (that's the error log)

Re: Weapons

In the older version, if you calculated damage per second from the descriptions in the ship upgrade screen you got odd results like the tachyon canon being weaker than the neutron gun. that seems to be fixed in the current version.

Re: Music

Music for 9b worked fine under Jaguar. I'll check and see what happens in Panther.

Re: Config

I haven't had a chance to get the error report when the config program fails under Jaguar. Hopefully I can check that out tonight.

Jaguar config error log

Here's the error report from the config program in Jaguar:

/Applications/Privateer/Privateer Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/setup_launch: setenv: command not found
/Applications/Privateer/Privateer Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/setup_launch: setenv: command not found
dyld: /Applications/Privateer/Privateer Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/setup_launch.data/vssetup_gtk can't open library: /sw/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Dec 15 17:44:52 Christopher-Wszaleks-Computer crashdump: Crash report written to: /Users/wszalecs/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/vssetup_gtk.crash.log

/Applications/Privateer/Privateer Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/setup_launch: line 38: 525 Trace/BPT trap "$ORIGPATH/vssetup_gtk"

I hope that helps.

--Chris

that's very interesting should help me track it down...
what about running soundserver...does that work in Jaguar?
i.e.
run terminal.app
then
cd /Applicatins/Priv,exe.app/Contents/Resources/bin
./soundserver

what does the terminal print out

hellcatv said:
what about running soundserver...does that work in Jaguar?
.....what does the terminal print out
Sound effects and music play just fine in the game.

Here's the terminal readout from soundserver in Jaguar:

Current Path /Applications/Privateer/Priv,exe.app/Contents/Resources/bin
Final Path /Applications/Privateer/Priv,exe.app/Contents/Resources
Using .privateer009 as the home directory
Opened audio at 44100 Hz 16 bit stereo, 4096 bytes audio buffer

I'm working on getting X-windows working in 10.2 to see if that lets me run the config program. I forgot what a pain that is without Apple's X11.

--Chris

I have a non-X11 version of the config that should run if the first config program fails...I'm wondering why that's not being executed

would you mind doing
cd /Applications/Privateer\ Setup/Contents/MacOSX/setup.data/
./setup
see if that works fine
if so then try
./setup_gtk

I had some trouble running it straight from the terminal so I drilled down to it in finder and opened it in the terminal instead.

Here's what I got:

/Applications/Privateer/Privateer\ Setup.app/ConteWelcome to Darwin!
nts/MacOS/setup_launch.data/vssetup_gtk; exit
[Computer:~] wszalecs% /Applications/Privateer/Privateer\ Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/setup_launch.data/vssetup_gtk; exit
dyld: /Applications/Privateer/Privateer Setup.app/Contents/MacOS/setup_launch.data/vssetup_gtk can't open library: /sw/lib/libgtk-1.2.0.dylib (No such file or directory, errno = 2)
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

I think its looking for the Fink gtk library which I don't have. (I just recently installed Jaguar on an old 8GB HD so I could play Vegastrike and now Privateer with my joystick. Its pretty barebones.)

Do I need to get Fink and install the gtk-lib package, or were you looking to have it run without that?

Also, I've got xfree86 installed now and oroborosx managing it but the config app still tries to launch in the gtk environment.

--Chris

Back