Low interest in Text-Based Roleplay

Iceblade

Admiral
I have been left wondering why there is a low interest in various text-based roleplay forms (eg MUSHs and Forum RP) especially with the Wing Commander community here. I would really like to hear what reasons you specifically aren't interested or find it not worth the time (as opposed to guesses for why the community at large isn't interested)

I've never personally considered myself an RPG player, and growing up certainly never got into playing pen and paper RPGs. It's only been more recently that I've even really picked up playing any of that genre with things such as the Mass Effect and Fallout series. And even with PC and Console RPGs I still find myself viewing my characters from an abstract point of view.

As far as text based mushes and forum RP, I have a hard time distancing myself enough from the character and simultaneously taking it seriously when it's completely text and completely coming from me.... and then there's the time thing.

Last edited:
For me, it's a matter of not having enough time. I work an 8-5 job and when I get home I have chores to do, and then I have my wife and 2.3 kids vying for my attention; it's usually 9 PM on a typical day by the time I can sit down and have any free time; by 10:30 it's off to bed unless I feel like depriving myself (which happens all too often). I have plenty of hobbies to fill up that ninety minutes as it is.

Of course, during my work breaks I'm not playing RPGs - I'm writing them...

One of the benefits of forum RP is the ease on time. Depending on the age and number of participants, 1-5 posts a week is doing pretty good and the time to read and post is probably a half hour or less.

I've been on every Wing Commander MU I know of which was up since I started MUing about 9 years ago. It just seems like MUs in general aren't as popular as they used to be.

Back about ten years ago there was Wing Commander Against All Odds, where the players had control of a Task Force in Enigma, Vega, Gemini, and or Epsilon Sectors. It lasted a good three years or so before it died out. We had a good 40 members or so at one point.

Last edited:
Back about ten years ago there was Wing Commander Against All Odds, where the players had control of a Task Force in Enigma, Vega, Gemini, and or Epsilon Sectors. It lasted a good three years or so before it died out. We had a good 40 members or so at one point.

Any of them still around?

I've managed to kept in touch with two or three of them on and off. One person I haven't though is Sylvester but if I recall he is a regular member of the CIC forums. I've been working on and off in my spare time on a successor site as a pet project. Most of the Confederation and Kilrathi Fleets are built all that is needed is some rule tweaking and some players.

I've managed to kept in touch with two or three of them on and off. One person I haven't though is Sylvester but if I recall he is a regular member of the CIC forums. I've been working on and off in my spare time on a successor site as a pet project. Most of the Confederation and Kilrathi Fleets are built all that is needed is some rule tweaking and some players.

Dude! Good to see a friendly ship again. I'd love to get back into a text based RP if you're starting one up.

EDIT: Holy crap....it really has been 10 years since AAO hasn't it?

Dude! Good to see a friendly ship again. I'd love to get back into a text based RP if you're starting one up.
Good to see you too Sylvester it's been too long. I'll attach the link for the site and we can do a Beta Campaign to determine if there is any fine tuning needed.
http://s6.zetaboards.com/WCFLEETOPS/index/

EDIT: Holy crap....it really has been 10 years since AAO hasn't it?
I know, it seems like it was just yesterday to me sometimes.

Hmmm... Text based RP? Tell me more?

By the way, in case you might be interested: Right now I'm looking into reactivating the WC Gemini Sector Mush as a forum RP over at the Phoenix website.

I'm hoping it will be a 'byte' more fast paced than the From the Ashes Sim.

Byte meaning 8 times :D

Hmmm... Text based RP? Tell me more?
Back in 2005 with Wing Commander Against All Odds each player character had control of a Task Force in one of the Confederation Sector Fleets. The timeline was set during the late 2650's after the loss of the TCS Tiger's Claw. It was in a sense part Fan Fiction part RPG and part Axis and Allies/Risk, The Player would post what their actions were during a turn. and the GM "Kilrathi Force" would determine the results of the players actions. The successor pet project I've been working on in my spare time is set to start in 2659 during the time gap between WC1 and WC2. Thank's to the work of Capi3101 and his superb RPG guide it will take a lot of the guess work out of sorting combat damage speeding up the battle process. What it needs right now is a beta test, you'd be more than welcome to join if you're interested.

By the way, in case you might be interested: Right now I'm looking into reactivating the WC Gemini Sector Mush as a forum RP over at the Phoenix website.
Interesting I'll have to take a look at that.

I'm hoping it will be a 'byte' more fast paced than the From the Ashes Sim.

Byte meaning 8 times :D
I got that reference. IT jargon woot.

Definitely!

If you are interested in joining. Please post to the thread. I won't be able to get it started without two members voicing their interest.

Back