Kotor2

Just read that there is gonna be a sequal to KOTR. That is great, the original was a great game and Xbox needs more RPGs it is kinda shy on them. Kinda scared though, the original was a great storyline and I don't know if they can do it again.

Bioware has done good things with the D&D video games, so I should not be to spooked.

I wouldn't be worried about this sequel, it can only get better from here on out. Don't get me wrong, I love KoToR with all my heart, but it did have some problems (namely bugs, some of the fighting was a bit lame, and as Shipgate keeps reminding me, the dialogue was really cheesey in some areas). They also needed to fix the mouth movement to match the words they were saying, I could go on but I think you get the point.

Anyway, this is one of those games that I'm highly anticipating. If you're worried about the sequel being as good as the first don't. Unless they really, really screw up it's bound to blow the origional away.

Bioware is not working on KotOR2, but the guys who are are all former Black Isle people, so chances are it is BETTER than 1. Like BGII:SoA was a lot better than BG... Heck, these are the guys who made PS:Torment, the best RPG with the Infinity Engine, ergo, possibly the best CRPG ever.

I've seen some shots, and it looks great. Very promissing.

Cool I just checked out some more info, Bioware's involvement is low-key probably just support with the game engine which stays the same. Bio-Ware and Black Isle work together good anyway (Obisidian has a great deal of talent from Black Isle). Picked up a little more of the plot.

It is five years after the events of KOTOR, the Republic is reeling from the effects of Darth Malak's Sith War and have abandoned many outer rim worlds to protect the more vital core worlds. The Sith are taking advantage of this and are attacking unprotected worlds (since the sith aren't in the core, they are either in the Outer Rim, or Unkown Space; can't remember when one becomes the other.) Many Jedi are falling to chaos and darkness. You play a Jedi who has a mysterious past, lost his/her connection the the force. It pretty much doesn't say much aside from you being pivotal in the history of the galaxy.

I can't really say I agree with you that BG:2 is better than BG. They are both great games and BG:2 does have a grander scheme, and more options. Not to mention better voice talent (Dwight Shultz and David Warner (WCM)). There was just something about BG one that seemed more D&D to me, but that is probably because I don't really like most of the Forgotten Realms fiction, Salvatore is a great auther, but Drizzt Sucks, he is way over the top.

The novels of the books aren't that bad, they are pretty bloody and descriptive, and Bodhi falls for Abdel Adrian (aka official name of the main character, I remember him being one of the pre-created characters, it made me mad cause he started out with a strength of 19).

BG was kinda the trailblazer, so the gameplay was not as tight as in BG2. The flow of the plot is also better in BG2, Chapter 2 is simply delightful to play. It is more ambitious and the higher level battles are just as complex as many RTS games. Fighting all those powerful enemies was just amazing. Not to mention the great characters and character interaction. You could make a difference in their lives. And you cared about them and their destinies. I'm thinking of both BG2 and ToB.

I played the damn thing like a madman for months. It was kinda living two lives... Not healthy for me.

I can agree with that, so I will say touche lol. BG2 did do a much better job of telling a story, it just seemed so much more fantastical (I know funny coming from a fantasy setting). I did enjoy them both greatly, I never did beat Throne of Bhaal, I made it to the half dragon's place, and for some reason put it down, now I can't find it :-(.

The thing that bugged me about it was the fact that the game almost pushes you to be a warrior or a cleric. Being a mage, is difficult, since you can make a better fighter than any you get. In BG it's useless, Sarevok has 100% magical resistance.

Hell yeah plus if you play a paladin you can get Cormasyr +5 Holy Avenger, that is a pretty powerful weapon, well one of the most powerful non-deific weapons I have ever seen in D&D.

Baldur's Gate, a D&D game placed in the Forgotten Realms. You play a child of Bhaal the god of murder (spoiler lol)

It is a good game, and so is the sequel (though as I said, I prefer the first). They both have expansions, Tales of the Sword Coast (or something been a while since I had that one), and Throne of Bhaal.

I got to the last fight in ToB but dropped it. Dumb.
I did the same thing with the original BG, because I got the the end AFTER Tales of the sword coast, something that makes the last fight a lot harder...

Well, I disagree about the gaming forcing you to be a fighter or cleric. You have a good selection of NPC fighters to chose from, and especially in BG2/ToB you have an amazing selection of spells. Including the summoning of all kinds of fiends.

Carsomyr was surely great (I played the same paladin out of my own volition from BG 1 to ToB...really cool thing to do), but a NPC could wield it. My best friend played through BG2-ToB with a magic user and had a great time.

Most FRPGs make it easier for "physical" charaters... Even pen&paper D&D. The fun of playing a magic-user is surviving long enough to get the real powerfull spells.

Anyway, I have great hopes for KotOR 2. The people behind it made PS:T and all I read about it looks good. KotOR was just the kind of game that grips me good. Like all the BGs, System Shocks and WCs...

Back