Kilrathi Saga

sorry pal the only way you're going to get your hands a copy of KS is by going to eBay, and you better be ready to spend some money because it doesn't usually sell for less than $150.

As to the music, I think it is better than the originals.

Well Ive only played the KS versions of the games except 2 so I dont have alot to go by but if the originals were all midis, then the KS versions are better.

Comparing the music is not that simple.

KS does *not* support (General) Midi anymore and therefore the sound will not be very different no matter which soundcard you use with KS (if it's not a *very* old one).

When comparing the "soundblaster sound" of the DOS games with KS, the DOS games do not stand a chance... but if you played the DOS games using General Midi, at some points you might not be satisfied with the "sound changes" in KS.

One good example is, IIRC, the music played after the briefings in WC1 when you run to your fighter, in my opinion this music part is one of the best of all WC games, but (only Origin knows why) it's only played loud in the DOS version, while in KS it's played much more softly in the background (sorry, I just don't find a better translation from german right now, I hope you understand what I mean)...I was very disappointed about that when I played KS WC1 for the first time...

So if you have the DOS versions of the games and the appropriate hardware (including a General Midi soundcard) to play them at an *acceptable* speed with good sound I would not buy KS if I were you... but otherwise KS surely is worth some money for a *real* WC fan... I found it in a game shop for 59 "German Mark" (about $30) in January 98, so it was not a *difficult* decision to make :D

IMHO the sound of the DOS versions (SB for both, sound an music) is better then KS. KS might be higher quality, but subjectively I liked the old stuff more. Kinda like the LP-CD 'wars'.

Graphic wise DOS beats KS BTW (I am talking of WC2-SO2 here, which is awesome in DOS, but did not get the new graphic over WC2 in KS).

Originally posted by cff
Graphic wise DOS beats KS BTW (I am talking of WC2-SO2 here, which is awesome in DOS, but did not get the new graphic over WC2 in KS).
It must have been between 92-94 when I played SO2
(don't remember, but it must have been at least a few months, if not even more than a year before WC3 came out and therefore I couldn't await the story to *continue*),
so I don't remember:
does it really have better graphics than the "normal missions" of WC2 or SO1?

One reason more to play it again... :)

Originally posted by Jochen
One good example is, IIRC, the music played after the briefings in WC1 when you run to your fighter, in my opinion this music part is one of the best of all WC games, but (only Origin knows why) it's only played loud in the DOS version, while in KS it's played much more softly in the background (sorry, I just don't find a better translation from german right now, I hope you understand what I mean)...I was very disappointed about that when I played KS WC1 for the first time...

I know exactly what you are talking about, but I liked the change. Id' have to keep adjusting the volume or skip the scramble scene because I found it too loud. Too each his own.

Originally posted by cff
IMHO the sound of the DOS versions (SB for both, sound an music) is better then KS. KS might be higher quality, but subjectively I liked the old stuff more. Kinda like the LP-CD 'wars'.
(...)
It is important to note that some of the sound effects are also different in KS, from the original WC1...

For instance, the Mass Driver sound in WC1 and SM1/SM2 is the same sound that we know from WC2... and I guess the same goes for each weapon that is used...
Personally, I prefer the original "bopbopbop" sound, more than the WC2 "tchic-tchic-tchic" type... (I'm sure you know what I mean ;))

Originally posted by mpanty
Personally, I prefer the original "bopbopbop" sound, more than the WC2 "tchic-tchic-tchic" type... (I'm sure you know what I mean ;))

Amen, that bop-bop-bop sound is a true classic. As is the original WC2 particle cannon sound, which I can't even begin to imagine how to represent with letters :) (I'll bring both of those sounds back in Standoff :))

--Eder

I am only concerned with WC2 since that is the best one. You mean the graphics are better in the KS version of WC2 than the original version? Does the original version of WC2 or WC2 Deluxe edition play too fast on a Pentium?

GOku57, here's a tip. There is an edit button on your posts. USE IT. Dont make repeated posts like that. It gets annoying. Overall, KS is better. (in my opinion.) But, I still have an old 486 which i have slowed down, just so i can play the classics in their original form. Everyone should have a 486!!!

KS version of WC2 is pretty much the same as original... Differences include redone music so that it is streaming audio, (synthesized) and easier way to turn on inulnerability...

Originally posted by AD
KS version of WC2 is pretty much the same as original... Differences include redone music so that it is streaming audio, (synthesized) and easier way to turn on inulnerability...
And horrible keyboard controls, don't forget that. (although I have to take LOAF's word for it that the original wasn't as horrible (my disks aren't readible anymore :( ) but I believe him)

Originally posted by AD
(...)and easier way to turn on inulnerability...

I like Inulnerability. ;)

The originals are great. Get them. They are cheaper. Then, get an old computer. You can get one for about 10-45 dollars. You can run the old games on the old computer. Then, if you can afford it, get KS. That way, you can have the best of both worlds.

(Cartman voice) Kilrathi Saga kicks ass! :)
Well, KS is a very cool thing to have, but you'll be satisfied with old versions.Just get an old computer ( WC 1 ran too fast on my old 486 / 66 MHz, boy, those were the days...)
But get KS as soon as you can, so you can brag around with it...:D

Originally posted by Goku57
I am only concerned with WC2 since that is the best one. You mean the graphics are better in the KS version of WC2 than the original version? Does the original version of WC2 or WC2 Deluxe edition play too fast on a Pentium?

WC2 and WC2SO1 are identical graphic wise.
WC2SO2 looks better in DOS.

WC2 DOS will play fine on a Pentium. The cutscenes however are in fast forward. Moslo can fix that easily however.

WC1 is a different beast here MOSLO often isn't enough.

Originally posted by Jochen

so I don't remember:
does it really have better graphics than the "normal missions" of WC2 or SO1?
WC2 and SO1 has that blusih background without many stars.
SO2 had a lila touch in the background and a much more detailed/good looking background image. I think you can still see that one in the cutscenes of SO2/KS.
That is the only difference in the Graphics. But as someone who said "WOW that addon looks cool" back then I think it is noticeable enough.

Back