Kilrathi Saga issues with WC 1 (sound)

I

IvarC

Hi all,

I have the following issue with the Kilrathi Saga wing commander 1:

I installed the game and it runs fine (no compatibility modes or anything).
Then I tried installing the secret Missions 1 & 2 add-on.
Strangely enough the game crashed/quits on the screen where you can start a new campaign or load on old campaign.
You would just see that screen for half a second and the game quits.

I tried using one of the compatibility modes (win95 or 98) and then I would be able to get past that particular screen. The only drawback is that the sound is really bad now....somewhat distorted with many 'noise & crackles'.

Somehow this is related to the add-on that I downloaded from this site?
I can un-install it and even if I could, then I wouldn't be able to play SM1 & 2 without distortions...

Anyone have a clue?

Thanks

Hmm. I think I only had that once during the game, after a ship exploded. After restarting the game, it worked again. So no real idea what's going on there. Maybe changing CPU priority helps? Or chaning soundcard hardware accel.? But that's just a guess.

I've also recently encountered this problem. While I don't have a true solution for you, I can tell you how I was able to get around it. Evidently, the skipping sound was linked to the fact that I was using the onboard sound port that came with my motherboard. After I installed and started using an actual sound card, the sound stopped skipping. Try to find an old sound card. I'd hesitate before going out and buying a new one, because I have no idea why the onboard one doesn't work properly. New sound cards may have the same problem.

Wow, I have this problem too. It does seem to be related to on-board sound. On my old computer, I played WC1KS no problems, but not on my new computer. No big deal for me, though. I can play WC1 on my old 386 computer - I only wanted KS for the Oldziey's re-orchestrations. :)

It does seem to be related to on-board sound
I don't think it's only related to onboard soundcards, cause I have got an onboard soundcard, too, and I don't suffer this bug. But it's likely to be soundcard related. - So I'd guess there are also some PCI soundcards which suffer this bug.

I didn't mean that all on-board sound cards suffer this problem, just that this problem seems to occur only on PCs with on-board sound cards.

Ah, Ok. Sorry, I got you wrong there. But still might be possible that there are some PCI Soundcards out there with the same prob. - Just remember the WC Prophecy Video bug: At first it was said to be only related to Creative soundcards, till some people showed up with a NForce2, e.g., and had the same prob. So imo difficult to tell...

THE_WUQKED said:
Ah, Ok. Sorry, I got you wrong there. But still might be possible that there are some PCI Soundcards out there with the same prob. - Just remember the WC Prophecy Video bug: At first it was said to be only related to Creative soundcards, till some people showed up with a NForce2, e.g., and had the same prob. So imo difficult to tell...

I think this is kinda long shot... Usually these onboard thingies are quite bad (with the exception of NForce stuff), so I believe only crappy PCI cards would face this problem. I don't think it would ever happen to a decent PCI board.

I think this is kinda long shot... Usually these onboard thingies are quite bad (with the exception of NForce stuff), so I believe only crappy PCI cards would face this problem. I don't think it would ever happen to a decent PCI board.
I guess you are right there, but still I would be carefull to generalize it this way. - And the more modern ones are not that bad (in quality etc), but only sometimes eat too much CPU power. Just like I said before, my AC97 onboard sound doesn't suffer that bug. - Anyway, we are getting quite offtopic now, I'd say ;)

Is there something known about the nForce2 sound that conflicts with WC1KS? 'cause that's what I have...

Is there something known about the nForce2 sound that conflicts with WC1KS? 'cause that's what I have...
As far as I know: no, nothing known. - I mentioned the NForce2, cause it's known to sometimes also suffer the WCP video skip bug. But that has been solved to HCl anyway ;)
But considering you've got a NForce2, and also suffer the bug, there could even be good normal soundcards out there with the same prob. So we should focus on more general stuff: What Directx version do you have? Has anyone tested different sound-hardware accel. settings yet? Or found out something else? Sorry, that I can't help you more than just guessing, but I don't have the prob with any of my PCs, so I can't trial-and-error it myself :(

i can get the sound to work fine in the game but the music plays all the time how do i turn it off ?

Hi!

I had the same problem (KS WC1 crashing after installing sm1 & 2) I could fix that by using the win95 compatibility mode. Sound seems fine, but my joystick keeps running to the edge and can't be used. Is there a way to calibrate it in KS?

I've seen the problem with KS sound/crashing before, and I avoided it by installing a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Pro 16 PCI. It is sort of a less advanced or lower end (OK, cheaper!) new card with the necessary legacy drivers used to "emulate" an older Creative ISA card- ones still in widespread use when KS was initially released. I just checked Amazon.com and they are being offered by the same seller (3rd party) who sold me mine. I paid $30.00 six months ago, now they only want $19.99. Also, I reinstalled Direct X version 7.0. I'd suggest considering this alternative if, for whatever reason, you are unhappy with your onboard sound.

Back