Killing Cap Ships

IamSpazzy

Spaceman
When killing cap ships, are you required to use torpedos ala WC2, or do you only have to dish out sufficient damage to the critical components in order to kill them?

You need to use torpedos, but they must be targeted against the bridge and engine components. The engine does allow for guns with the capability to kill cap ships, but there are no such weapons during the time period Standoff is set in.

Kamekhs and Dorkathi can be killed with just guns and missiles (torps won't lock onto them anyways).

All the heavy capships have to be downed with torps.

You need to use torpedos, but they must be targeted against the bridge and engine components. The engine does allow for guns with the capability to kill cap ships, but there are no such weapons during the time period Standoff is set in.

actually the engine does allow for guns to destroy components, the Plasma Gun on the Black Devastator in SO and the Viper Cannon in UE can do so, but in Standoff no guns can, though since it takes place between WC2 and WC3 you should be able to destroy some of the smaller capships with guns, just to show the balance was shifting.

The first time I played WC2, I was thrown off by the manual stating that Kamekhs had phase shields...

I bit more general then most of the responses, but I have found the memorizing the ships turret configuration will allow you to make attack runs against most cap ships unmolested. Either that, or remove a few turrets yourself to increase your chances of success.

One trick I learned very quickly when attacking Targus is to make my run from straight on. The turrets seem to have the lowest chance of doing the torps if you shoot it directly at the front of the ship. The area between the two forward "spikes" is undefended so torps can sneak right in.

I love how there's a big fat Targu waiting for your torpedo as soon as you come out of autopilot in the Skinning Cats mission (Backlash campaign). It's nice having a one-torpedo-kill capship again. :)

I love how there's a big fat Targu waiting for your torpedo as soon as you come out of autopilot in the Skinning Cats mission (Backlash campaign). It's nice having a one-torpedo-kill capship again. :)

Agreed. Although they are some of the best at downing incoming torps, so even though it's a one torp kill you definitely have to have a good approach to make sure it only takes one torp.

I don't know... I played the first 2 missions and they never downed one of my torps...

Question: Can the Tragu be damaged from enywhere or do you have to launch from a partucular side?

The torp just has to hit the hull and it will be destroyed as the entire hull is one giant component.

Perhaps you always took the smart approach and attacked head on where the turrets don't have an angle from which to fire on your incoming torps.

Try attacking from the sides/top/bottom, I'm pretty sure you'll lose a few torps in trying :)

I think it has to do with my tactics...

I like to lock from long range and the close in to fire at poit blank...

It finaly works in Standoff hehe... I finally have a real bomber to take in the flak

Ahh I'm the opposite. I like to launch between 7 - 9k and then move on to the next target/component. That way I'm at the max range of flak and out of the range of smaller energy weapons.

The only time I find myself closing to suicide range is when taking on the Hakaga. The bastard is just so damn big it takes forever to get distance on him really, because the target distance is judged from the center of the ship.

hehe... I never saw the ship... I just followed the targets and launched my torps hehehe

I only saw it when I fell way back behind it to tag the last engine...

I used the longbow

Uh, I didn't think there were Longbows in Standoff...

I take the long-distance approach to torpedo runs in WC2 because the long torpedo lock time meant that I would otherwise be a sitting duck for the target's flak. Then I would move in and release the torpedo at a distance of about 5000 before peeling off (don't want to get caught in the blast - did that once in my early days of playing!).

On the other hand, I usually let myself get close in to capship components in Standoff before releasing torpedoes so that any turrets present don't have enough time to track it. As opportunity arises, I will also try to take approach angles from where wingmen have already destroyed some turrets.

I prefer to go for the approaches that lack energy turrets. Flak seems to have a tougher time in downing torps if you launch at the bottom of its firing arc.

Although on the Hakaga the turrets, while numerous, are so spread out around the ship that there are several gaps and with the destruction of components large amounts of turrets are killed instantly along with the component. When going after the Hakaga I would vary strategy between nailing all the launch bays as fast as possible to nailing the front left and right and the two outermost engines. Those 4 kills takes out a fair amount of the turrets and makes it easier for your wingmen to finish the job.

How about Stingray too? You'd think he'd learn after the first few times that it's not dead till it's dead. :)

I try to avoid targeting the hangars since there's precious few torpedoes to go around. The first time I flew against the Hakaga, I accidentally targeted one of the hangars (since it's the default component selection) and I think my entire wing ran out of torpedoes in the end. :(

I'd rather nail the hangars as doing so reduces the number of fighters in the later waves that spawn. I find that having less kats flying around trying to nail my wingmen proved to be the best way to make sure that there were enough torps to go around.

It's a balance, I suppose, but I'm content to fight through fighter screens before making serious bombing runs. And the presence of hangars does not necessarily equate to more fighters launched (it depends on the mission design). And I would think that to be sure no more fighters are launched, you'd have to destroy all of the hangars. But I suppose you would know the way the missions are scripted better than me.

Yeah, the number of hangars affects the amount of fighters launched - the less hangars there are, the less fighters can launch simultaneously.

Back