keyboard commands for a new WC game

Chip

Spaceman
If Origins or whoever makes a new WC game, do you think theses would be good keyboard keyboard commands? This is just a rough draft.

A: attack -- unit attacks any foe
B:
C: press to turn on unit's cloaking device, press again to turn off unit's cloaking device
D: docking -- unit docks with other unit
E: evasive -- unit in evasive mode will try to evade foes
F: formation -- highlight units while pressing F and then select a formation from list.
G: guarding -- unit in guard mode will engage any foe that attacks any spacecraft(s) unit is guarding
H: hold -- unit in hold mode will hold position
I:
J:
K: kamikaze -- this can be negated by pressing M
L:
M: move -- unit will move forward, left right, backward in accordance with arrow keys and/or mouse. Shift button moves unit down, Shift moves a unit up. Insert sets a new nav point, End ends the move system
N: neutral -- unit is placed in neutral terms of power distribution, fighting stance, etc.
O: on/off, press to turn on ship systems, press again to turn off ship systems
P: pause game
Q: quit permanently (unit self-destructs) -- press and hold while pressing Z
R: Repair -- press once to activate repair systems, press again to deactivate repair systems
S: Shields -- press to bring up a speed indicator -- input speed using number keys
T: Talk -- lets you talk to individual and/or groups of units and/or other human players and/or cpu players
U:
V: View -- changes how you view the screen -- from pilot's view, to rear view, side view, etc. Use arrow keys while pressing V to change the view
W: Weapons -- press to bring up weapons setting display
X:
Y: has ships merge together -- great for when the left side of a capship has weakened armor & right side of another capship has weakened armor -- only works for units of same class.
Z: other options

Spacebar -- toggles between sensors & standard view

Home -- brings to flagship, press again to get to flagship bridge

Page Up/Page Down -- press Page Up increase thrust, press Page Down to decrease thrust

Esc -- use to eject

End -- use to end certain commands.

Number keys -- press one to select a group

Function keys -- press one to select an individual unit in a group

The L button is used for leadership positions

While highlighting a unit, press L to assign it a leadership position within the chain of command

Why would you want to change the keystroke layout on a WC game? :confused:

think of hand position instead of logical allignment.

People will learn the keyboard commands to do something, it is getting it done fast enough in flight that is usually the problem.

example. If you like to have your hand over your weapon changing buttons but you also want to be able to comm someone quickly, those buttons need to be close to each other so you can get to them. It's just what the person thinks is most useful.

frankly, I like the WC games layouts

I dont think Chip is referring to a space simulator like all the WC games in the past but to a strategy game of some type.

That occured to me to. The layout sounds more like a squad-based scenario ala Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six.

Actually, there's a Ranbow Six clone coming out... except its from the movie Aliens!

that is kind of what it looks like. I've seen stategy games with ships on a board, but that was more point and click based.
It would be cool to see something like that in the WC universe where you controlled marines and ships. Kind of like X-com games.

Humm, that keyboard layout looks a lot like the one for homeworld ,*gasp*, what a surprise :rolleyes: . Not to mention that some vital commands seem to be omited, I'd hate to try to get through a WC with out my autopilot. There's over an hour of flight between some points in wcIII.

Exactly. The first thing I thought when I saw that stuff was that there needs to be an autopilot key (ALT+A is attack anyway, so that change is pointless), and other commands omitted.

What's confusing though, is the change of function of these keys between WC games. The W key up to WC3 is for your weapons display, while in 4 and Prophecy it turns your ship. I like the latter key assignments though.

Autopilot & I did not model after Homeworld

Remember, the Z button does other options. It could bring up a list of commands where you could press a button to bring up autopilot. We could simply use the P button to activate the autopilot since the Alt button pauses the game anyway (P for pilot). I did not model the keyboard commands after Homeworld. We could also an option to design the game keyboard commands so that each player can redesign the keys better to his/her liking. I was primarily referring to a strategy game. The strategy game I'm referring to is one where you start out as a 2nd Lt. (like in the original WC), then you advance up the ranks to 1st Lt., Maj., Col., etc. Also, where it says : S: Shields speed indicator is a typo. I meant that pressing S brings up the Shield control system layout -- use arrow keys to set shield/power distribution. Please list any constructive suggestions you might have for keyboard commands. Also, it's the Shift button that moves a unit up and Ctrl button that moves a unit down. I'm also thinking of using the Enter button to "end" commands like a nav point movement system. The End button could be used for selecting the Ending Point of a Nav Point (like whatever you need to do to end your flying at a Nav Point). ~ button could be used to have a unit go in a semi-evasive movement while engaging foes. = button could be used for equalizing power. ? button could be used to order unit to survey an area (like for recon). I button could be used to turn radar, IFF emissions, signal lights, other indicators on/off. And remember, that first posting was my rough draft.

OK, I would make templates which you could use based off of all the previous WC games, I would also add joystick and mouse support naturally, but I would alsop allow people to make their own settings based on the templates.

Back