Joysticks

Saturnyne

Vice Admiral
My Logitech Wingman just died on me, and I was wondering what a good replacement would be. Any suggestions? Thanks.

------------------

§

Any microsoft is good as is logitech wingman, you can get a force feedback logitech for 60 bucks, very cool.

------------------
There is no God but myself. No destiny but what I deem for me. I walk my path and no others, for I am free.

Huh. I hope mine doesn't die on me. It's going on 3
smile.gif

------------------
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
Real heros wear SCBAs, not capes.--Me.

Last edited by a moderator:
heh... how about the Wingman itself? It's only $20, but it has done wonders for my piloting in WC games. Can anyone recommend that stick?

------------------

§

I got myself a basic Logitech Wingman Attack after I ripped the handle part of my old 'brand X' stick
smile.gif
Good control, accuracy, sturdy. I've got no complaints

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Well, I found a really good sale on a Wingman Attack stick.
smile.gif
I'll definitely give that one a try.

------------------

§

I've used anything from a Quickshot to a Thrustmaster. I now have a Thrustmaster Top Gun Attack Throttle, Top Gun Joystick, and Rudder Control System. It's older so I don't have force feedback but having a throttle improved my game significantly, I do not ram my opponants anymore. The attack throttle is programmable so I can cycle guns or missiles without taking my hand of the stick. I think that is called a "HOTAS" system for Hands On Throttle and Stick.
Go to the Thrustmaster homepage and read about the new HOTAS 2000 a fully digital USB joystick & throttle combo.

Unless you're playing flight sims as well, getting pretty much anything from Thrustmaster is over kill let alone a throttle and rudder system. HOTAS systems are great for flight sims, but there isn't a space sim complicated enough to warrant the purchase of one. Of course if you have cash to burn go ahead. Thrustmaster makes great sticks and they have more than enough buttons to map all your keys to.

On the other hand I can't recommend getting basic sticks either. It's always good to be able to map your most commonly used keys to your joystick. Makes everything so much easier.
smile.gif

------------------
Mess with the best, die like the rest.

*L* Given my flying style, all I need for my joystick is a trigger, and a button that can fire missiles. Having something to manipulate my speed would be superfluous, but I wouldn't mind it.
smile.gif

I like Logitech because it's good quality at good prices. At least, for me. I don't know if Logitech is necessarily bad for joysticks, but it's done really well for me in the past...

------------------

§

I'd recommend my Wingman Extreme any day of the week. It's more comfortable to hold than any other stick out there, and doesn't go overkill with it's functions. The Wingman attack is pretty good, same grip, just who in the hell is going to use 3 8-way hats? But, if you're up to it, go for it!
smile.gif

If you have a bit of cash to spend, get a Saitek X36F/X35T Stick/throttle combo. Then watch your WC preformance pick up :) rudder, speed, pitch, yaw, gun, missle, everything's right there. Fully programmable. Very nice setup, but it was fairly expensive (over $150 last time I looked...), but I dont' know waht it is currently. I haven't been in the market for sticks much.

------------------

It is true I also fly a great many flight sims. Hindsight being 20-20 I should have become a pilot in the military instead I went Combat Engineer in the Army. Back to the subject I agree a stand alone throttle is overkill but I still think some sort of throttle control (other than keyboard) is a must in Wing Commander.

Believe it or not, I would recommend the Microsoft Sidewinder (2 btn. variety)! It gives you ease of control, and you can fire your guns and missiles, speed up, slow down, and spin around, with only 2 buttons. Everything else uses the left side of your keyboard, so you can easily learn to use your left hand on the keys, and your right on the joystick.

A, B, C, D, F, G, Tab, Ctrl., and Alt are on the left, for the simple commands, and you only have to stretch a bit to hit M, \, and Backspace.

The two buttons are easy to reach, and the joystick itself is really quite comfortable.
biggrin.gif

-----

Dear GAWD!! That sounded like an ad for the damned thing...

I hope Microsoft pays me well.
biggrin.gif

------------------
Maestro: "Lighten up Spyder! We're not gonna die! We're gonna WIN!!"

Zero: "Hey, Maestro... Uhh... If you DIE, can we pick through your stuff before we head back to Sol?"

Maestro: "You can burn in Hell."

um, Knight, the wingman attack just has 4 buttons and a throttle control.
smile.gif
That's it. No hats in sight. Basic stick for a basic pilot. I don't need any fancy thingamebobs.

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

Hail to the king, baby.
-Ash, housewares

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

The simple Wingman is just like the MS Sidewinder. Two buttons, throttle, spin, etc. on the top button, and extrememly versatile control - you move it a little, you turn a little. Move it a lot, you'll turn a lot. I just want the Wingman attack because I found a brand new one being sold at a computer store for a mere $16.
smile.gif

Hell, I'd buy two just to have a replacement.

------------------

§

For the old gamers who still hold ancient hardware in high regard; I continue to use my analogue Kraft 1984 joystick that was originally purchased by my father for his IBM XT 286 (which now serves as a monitor stand).

Though ultimately inferior to any other class of joystick on the market today, it has seen me through with every controller-based game I have played.

From the 4-colour CGA "Red Gloves" boxing game to Wing Commander IV, I suspect that it still has a few years left in it yet!

No Regret said:
um, Knight, the wingman attack just has 4 buttons and a throttle control.
smile.gif
That's it. No hats in sight. Basic stick for a basic pilot. I don't need any fancy thingamebobs.

Sorry, wrong stick. I was thinking of the Wingman Inteceptor.

------------------

Boeman said:
For the old gamers who still hold ancient hardware in high regard; I continue to use my analogue Kraft 1984 joystick that was originally purchased by my father for his IBM XT 286 (which now serves as a monitor stand).

Though ultimately inferior to any other class of joystick on the market today, it has seen me through with every controller-based game I have played.

From the 4-colour CGA "Red Gloves" boxing game to Wing Commander IV, I suspect that it still has a few years left in it yet!

That's pretty damned impressive. I've never had a joystick last more than a year ... well except for my Logitech Wingman Extreme Digital. But the trim is really messed up.

It's just like everything else these days - for those of you who still have grandparents (enjoy them while they're still around) now you understand why they're the sort of people who say "they don't make 'em like they used to".

Back