Joysticks in wc IV win 95

LaFong

Spaceman
Does anyone else have the problem that when you are flying in combat and the reticule passes over an enemy ship or object, odd things happen to the joystick - ie. it does not track smoothly - in some cases you will move up and left or up and right when you want to move down and left or down and right, or vice versc - it makes targeting very difficult to say the lease - i have tried the dos version with standard and alternate joystick routines - and the problem doesnt appear to be the joystick as I have tried my Ch f-16 fichterstick, and a couple of logitech basic joysticks and they all have the same problem.

Thanks

LaFong

Yes this is the case for WC3 KS as well, OSI were just very lazy with the joystick when moving to Win95, its a real shame, it often puts me off replaying the games!
You know I have a dream that one day OSI will make a new Wing Commander game with tractoring, planetside missions, MIPs, cloaking and everything else that was in each of the older games and a real good mission creater so us fans can remake all the old games.
Unfortunatley it seems to be just that, a dream, besides they'd have to help the fans out with getting it to accept the movie and sound formats from the previous games, EA and OSI help out the fans, lol!

That's a nice dream Pedro, hold on to it. There's no sign of any WC games coming out any time soon, but that doesn't mean there never will be, there's always hope.

Joystick problems? Yup, same here...

I can't believe that through the whole missions of WC I and II, I actually played with the keyboard... :)

With WC III, that actually became harder... :(

I've always played using a keyboard. :)

BTW, I read one game mag's review on WCIII for PlayStation, and he had a major problem with targetting fighters. He said something about a bug which would freeze controls for a split-second when he was tailing someone, causing him to lose the fighter, and forcing him to take much longer than necessary to complete the game.

Since I do not have a PlayStation, I was wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Originally posted by Wedge009
I've always played using a keyboard. :)

Wow! Even WC III, IV and V? Sounds pretty hard...

I wonder how you would perform in a real cockpit... perhaps with a keyboard on your knees? LOL ;)

[Edited by mpanty on 03-06-2001 at 14:10]

Well personally I'd say most of us if in a real cockpit
would pass out just from going a quarter g to 5Gs ;) .

[Edited by Dekkar on 03-06-2001 at 14:20]

I have had the joystick problem of skipping and jumping. It's just one of those things that you have to get used to. I just played all the way through wc3 in two days. And that was after playing SO for a little while. We have just been spoiled by todays fancy technology. :) It's fun though.

Originally posted by Dekkar
Well personally I'd say most of us if in a real cockpit
would pass out just from going a quarter g to 5Gs ;)

Guess you're right... :(

My dreams of starfighter pilot are shattered...

Thats what pressure suits are for. Haven't you ever seen Battlestar Galactica? All you have to do is put one on, and it's like takin a stroll down the street. Unrealistically of course. :) Keep your dreams up!

Joysticks are a problem in KS, though I have found that calibrating every time you start the games helps. Bit of a pain, but better than using the keyboard. Get a better feel for the ship with a stick.

I found I had to hit CTRL-C alot in the WIN9x version of WCIV, mostly I think due to the patch thing that took the DOS version and let it run in WIN9x. So I run it in DOS! :D

RFBurns

Originally posted by mpanty
Wow! Even WC III, IV and WCP? Sounds pretty hard...

Not hard. In fact, with the extra functions from WC3 onwards, keeping both hands on the keyboard is much easier.

Originally posted by mpanty
I wonder how you would perform in a real cockpit...

Easy, just look at the Tarsus cockpit. ;)

Originally posted by Zor Prime
Thats what pressure suits are for. Haven't you ever seen Battlestar Galactica? All you have to do is put one on, and it's like takin a stroll down the street. Unrealistically of course. :) Keep your dreams up!

Thanx Zor... I feel better already! ;)

Stars, here I come! (someday...

Originally posted by Pedro
RFBruns: How did cloaking help?

i think he meant alt-c where it automatically recalibrates your joystick

though it only barely worked for me, there was always at least a slight drift

try adding
-dead_zone=2
after your wing commander 1v shortcut i.e.
C:\wc4\WC4w.exe -dead_zone=2
also try 3 instead of 2 - it certainly smoothed joystick tracking for me : - )

Only the joystich support in WC3 & 4 are bad. Sometimes my ship just headed into one direction after i centered the stick.

lol, my wingman joystick was once a "total loss" when i played WCP. The ship just headed up and to the right. Luckely someone got it repeared

Ya it got to a point in the win9x ver of WCIV with stick problems I gave up and just run the game in DOS mode and the stick is more stable. I also ran into problems with the win9x patch version with the movies playing choppy. The sound would cut out now and then.

RFBurns

Back