J.J. Abrams To Direct 'Star Trek XI'

Everyone also has seen voyager, the show has been re-running numerous times worldwide.

the idea of refreshing the audience is okay, but i doubt it would work for star trek (again). Over here, you could watch 5 trek episodes from 3 different series between 17:30 and 21:00 on weekdays, and 2 or 3 "new"(previously not broadcasted on local stations) episodes from those series on the weekend, it was overkill.

Also, Star trek: the motion picture is one of the better in the series, 3 and 4 were, from my personal point of view the really, really bad ones.

Foxtrot said:
i think trek had a general following during the TNG era. everyone has seen that series mate.

Not at all. The original series had a general following; by 1987 there had been conventions and four movies. It had certainly become a niche market before TNG and has remained such ever since.

LeHah said:
Not at all. The original series had a general following; by 1987 there had been conventions and four movies. It had certainly become a niche market before TNG and has remained such ever since.
Then why did you make the statement further above?

I should've been more specific perhaps. The show has had to rest on the backs of its fans to get where it has. Its hardly "general audience" material - how would the term trekies or trekkers enter our modern vocabulary otherwise?

Mav23 said:
I am kind of scared that the new Trek movie's goal is to reach a "general audience".

A Trek movie with the main goal of pleasing the trek community would also sounds kind of scary. Regardles of the franchise, they should primary aim to make a good movie, not a movie that would only please fans.

I'm just worried they might go a little bit over board and abandon the reason trekkies go to see the movies in the first place in favor of the general publics nostalgia for the first series. I agree with Delance that their overall goal should be to make a good movie (but pay respects to both sides of the spectrum of movie goers).

Mav23 said:
I am kind of scared that the new Trek movie's goal is to reach a "general audience".

That just means they will put some pop songs in it like britney, perhaps even some hip hop and they will set it in a college. You will get lines like thus "like... like oh my gawd, John Luc is soooo hoawt"

floundericiousMI said:
Just what I've always wanted... Shatner...in high-res

*heart attack*

*thud*

Well, at least you're not also getting him in high-fidelity whatevertheheckistopsnowadays sound, and even if you did, he doesn't sing in any of the ST movies (well, maybe the campfire scene in ST5, I don't recall).

Yes, he did sing...Row, row, row your boat... :)

Sweet, I like the idea of TOS in High Def. I really dislike the premise for the next movie but I'll probably watch it just the same. Shatner, Nimoy, Doohan, Takei etc all embodied the original Star Trek to me...seeing different actors in their roles I think would be a little unnerving. This is not the James Bond series that a new face every few movies but same character, works. On a side note, Nemesis was an extremely boring movie I've watched it twice now and each time I lost interest and started playing games on my computer while the movie played.

Patrick Stewart is really the saving grace for the whole TNG cast...
The scenes between Picard and Picard-lite were, to me, the best of Nemesis. The rest of it was filler. It's like watching a boring B5 episode knowing that there's going to be an excellent 30 seconds of Andreas Katsulas/Peter Jurasic byplay later on! ;-)

I think there are lots of closet Trekkies out there. The shows did not run for as long as they did, spawn ten movies, an animated series, hundreds of comics and novels and video games because no one watched it.

I think it would be pretty entertaining to have Nimoy and Shatner appear in the movie, and "flashback" to other actors. This I think would appeal to older star trek fans (while not old, the TOS cast was my favorite), plus some of those guys would get some more work (teehee).

Paramount did approach Stewart about playing Picard again, but he said he did not know if he could meet up with the physical demands of the role. I think TNG is long gone though, the actors have moved on, its still fresh enough in our minds to avoid most nostalgia.

I just pray this new one is a good movie. I am a big Star Trek fan, and have been pining for a while for a resurgance of the innovation TOS, and TNG, and even DS9 brought to film and television.

Back