It's not Wing Commander

I have it fully installed of the discs (I do own the game), but the game wont go past the launch screen. Anyone know how to get round this?

There are only two ways to run Starlancer that I know of. 1: Install Windows 98 and run it that way. or 2: install Linux or Mac and run it in wine. Microsoft did a really good job of breaking DirectX backwards compatibility especially with directx 4-6 era titles. Not sure if it affects Starlancer or not, but they deprecated an entire rendering system between 98/XP that leaves a few games completely broken in XP.

There are only two ways to run Starlancer that I know of. 1: Install Windows 98 and run it that way. or 2: install Linux or Mac and run it in wine.

Nope, It runs fine under windows XP(do set the game to Windows 98 compatibility mode). The one thing that "breaks" is the reading of your CD, being it a real disc, or a mounted image. You'll get the "insert disc" at random loading points. To avoid this, install the full game to the hard drive and apply the NoCD patch.

There is a chance it crashes to your desktop, but it did thesame thing back in the day when it was new under Windows 98SE. I'll test it tomorrow on windows 7(64bit), because I need to test my new joystick drivers, and starlancer is the ONLY true space combat sim that features campaign co-op.

appreciate the info. hey, is there any chance you could send me that no cd patch? My ESET Nod 32 antivirus wont let me anywhere near those sites. cheers

Congratulations to all hardcore WC fans. You've been faithfully waiting for many years. Now you are about to get what you deserve. As it should be.

I'm really happy to hear about Star Citizen, as I'm sure so many of you are! :) Also, anyone notice the Kilrathi logo at 02:07 of the extended trailer?

Nope, It runs fine under windows XP(do set the game to Windows 98 compatibility mode). The one thing that "breaks" is the reading of your CD, being it a real disc, or a mounted image. You'll get the "insert disc" at random loading points. To avoid this, install the full game to the hard drive and apply the NoCD patch.

There is a chance it crashes to your desktop, but it did thesame thing back in the day when it was new under Windows 98SE. I'll test it tomorrow on windows 7(64bit), because I need to test my new joystick drivers, and starlancer is the ONLY true space combat sim that features campaign co-op.

anything else needed to play starlancer, except the NO-CD patch? what about the graphics revolution. are higher resolutions supported? I forgot about that, so long ago..

does starlancer work an windows 7?

I'm really happy to hear about Star Citizen, as I'm sure so many of you are! :) Also, anyone notice the Kilrathi logo at 02:07 of the extended trailer?

Indeed, check out the CIC's story on the front page, other users have noted quite a few WC similarities - The cat logo, the obvious Bengal redux, Kurasawa, pilots running through red corridors, Confed style uniforms...

anything else needed to play starlancer, except the NO-CD patch? what about the graphics revolution. are higher resolutions supported? I forgot about that, so long ago..

does starlancer work an windows 7?

Yes! The issue with the CD's is that modern drives either cash to fast or too much so the game does not know that you insert the right or wrong CD, this "switching" can cause the game to crash. The NoCD patch fixes this. I played in 1280x1024, no issues.

The game works ok, but intense actions can cause it to crash, I do not know if anyone would look into this, or has looked into this in the past.

is there any chance you could send me that no cd patch?
I have it(somewhere), the internet has it and would be glad to share it with you, but better if the guys who do all this agree to host it in their download section?
(the noCD patch is technically a hack, since it allows you to use a single copy and play with an entire network)

thanks for the info, but can you complete the game with those crashes?
Yes, because the crash occurs when too much is happening on the screen. So just save between every mission. (But anyone would agree avoiding going in guns blazing to keep the game running is poor programming and not good for the player's experience, then again, I'm sick enough to be playing "Dead man's hand" and "Star Wars: Obi Wan")

I really hope Squadron 42 would allow us to all fly together or against each other in campaing mode.

N
Um, is this post in the wrong thread? Which of the games is being referred to?

No just an error as this was a reply to a post on the first page of the thread, requesting help on Starlancer and I did not use the reply button. Sorry!

Really , this game seems above all my expectations ! Wing Commander or not , It has an original -in a new way- wing commander feel !

Here's an absolute: This game is going to be fucking awesome and I already KNOW it's going to be better than Wing Commander.

It may not be an official part of the Wing Commander universe but it's designed to be damn near close enough. I'm probably one of the only people more excited about Squadron 42 than the online stuff.

It may not be an official part of the Wing Commander universe but it's designed to be damn near close enough. I'm probably one of the only people more excited about Squadron 42 than the online stuff.

I think there are lots more, I don't like the trade stuff at all. Maybe do some pirating in between te "squadron" parts.

The impression I get is that the single-player WC-style military 'Squadron 42' campaign would be a single contiguous block - I think, during one of the videos, Chris said that you'd be going 'AWOL' if you ran off to do something else while in the military. But once you finished the campaign, you'd be free to play about the multi-player Privateer-style part of the game.

What I'm hoping for is that along with the mini-updates, you get expansions upon the single-player campaign. From the sound of things, it looks like we will, but I hope they're like FULL-ON expansions in the caliber of Secret Missions.

Back