It's Here: Wing Commander II GameTap (October 11, 2007)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
As promised, Wing Commander II: Vengeance of the Kilrathi is now available on GameTap. If you have an account, the game is included with today's software update... if you don't, get one! GameTap is a subscription-based gaming service which offers 'hassle free' legal access to hundreds and hundreds of classic titles... including Wing Commander, Wing Commander II and Wing Commander IV! You can find the GameTap website for WC2 here and the online manual here.

The download is 18 megabytes. I gave it a quick run through... and it's the best GameTap'd Wing Commander title yet. It is the DOS version with the speech pack included, and the speed is just right. Mouths move correctly, fighters fly smoothly and you'll remember why you fell in love with the series in the first place. The only question is: what's next? Wing Commander III? Privateer? Something completely different? Only time will tell!

--
Original update published on October 11, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
Every release this comes up ;)

One day, one day. They state in their FAQ that its planned but I don't recall seeing a date anywhere. Really frutstrating though, if they sorted out the addons this would be the ideal way to play.
I've had a hankering to replay WC2 but the KS version is playing up and my deluxe version is with the rest of my collection at my parents :(

I have no idea how GameTap works, so just out of curiosity, what restricts its service to the US only? I thought the Internet, despite its US dominance, is an international construct.

I have no idea how GameTap works, so just out of curiosity, what restricts its service to the US only? I thought the Internet, despite its US dominance, is an international construct.

Its been a while since I tried signing up but I think the point at which I got stopped was when it asked for billing information. I did get an account in so far as I get spam from them every now and again, but couldn't becoming a paying member.

The biggest issue is licensing. Companies license their libraries on a regional basis - in order to launch in Europe (or elsewhere) GameTap needs to go back and arrange new deals for the same games with the entities that hold the distribution rights in other countries (which aren't always the same groups... many games, especially old ones, were licensed to separate international publishers). We already see this problem in the US and Canadian versions. Sierra didn't (or, likely, couldn't) license their back catalogue for release in Canada... so the Canadian GameTap doesn't have any *Quest games.

Aw man, we need some gametap love in the UK too :(
Doubly so now that WC, WCII and WCIV are on it

Is the Gametap version free of that simultaneous key problem that the DOS version had on modern computer? You couldn't use more than one key at a time, making flying and shooting impossible, or flying diagonally. I bought an old 386 a while ago for £1 off ebay just so I could play WC2 properly.

It'd be cool if Gametap Europe would be released soon. How much is Gametap a month? Is it really 99 cents for the Gold membership? I find their site not very informative.

A question about Gametap WC2: has anyone tried out if it's possible to transfer your Gametap WC1 pilot to Gametap WC2?

I believe it's $9.95 monthly or $6.95 if you subscribe for a whole year. The first month is 99c.

You can shoot me down for this, but: dedication to WC is all well and good, but I still say people come first.

But, of course, you should make your own decision.

You can shoot me down for this, but: dedication to WC is all well and good, but I still say people come first.

Yes, but money isn't time - it *time* with your girlfriend costs so much that you can't afford a $7 game service then something is wrong.

Back