It has to do with the Prophecy

TheFraix

Vice Admiral
I've been following the threads around, and the one(s) about Christmas really stunned me.

Does anyone know the true idea about Christmas, the importance of Easter, and their connection with a prophecy which started a long time ago?

yup...in the bible it talks about adam and eve, the first ppl on earth created by God...they then sinned by eating from a forbidden tree coz they were tempted by a snake.
God put curses on adam and eve (who represent mankind as a whole) as well as the snake who was Satan. the curse on the snake was that he would ever be in conflict with man and the man would "crush" him with his heels...
that was the promise / prophecy that a saviour would come and get rid of Satan and teh curse bringing salvation
later on when God talked to his prophets, they prophesised about a child who would lead God's people into salvation - that was Jesus, and that links us to Christmas from the prophecy...also from the prophets, they had stuff like the saviour would be killed but raised up after 3 days and that links us to Easter!

I understand the true meaning of those things. Although, I do joke arround with their commercializations every now and then. :)

I usually don't care about what poeple believe in or whatever religion they are a member of even if their beliefs differ from mine (I'm Catholic :)). However, like politics, relegion has a way of creating flame wars and such. As a result, to maintain some peace, conversations about or pertaining to religion are strongly discouraged here.

[Edited by Meson on 12-16-2000 at 01:23]

His question was weather anyone knew about this.:) I'm pretty sure he knows this himself. More so, most people, no matter what religion, know the story about Adam and Eve.

I can give you what Christmas is about. See when the Romans decided to make Christianity the official religion, there was a problem. There was this wild fun pagan holiday that everybody just about celebrated, Christians included. This both teed off the Church and the Emperor. They decreed that no one could celebrate this pagan holiday. But guess what, people still celebrated it. Finally some one had a brilliant idea. If they couldn't stop the people from celebrating that Pagan holiday, they'd steal it. They decided to say that was when Christ was born (there was no Official Holiday for the birth of christ then, who is believed to have been born somewhere between Jan to March during 4-6 B.C.) So that holiday became Christmas day, the people were robbed of their Pagan holiday and that is where Christmas comes from. Don't believe me, watch the History Channel or read a history book.

May I...

I agree with Vondoom's reasoning: IT IS A HISTORICAL FACT.

But for the Christians (I mean people who are true believers, not the bunch of guys who just go to church to look good), Christmas is a day marked as a celebration of Jesus Christ's birth.

Hmm... I have this very interesting idea about the Jesus' birth and what effect later ever since.

Is it alright if I tell about it?

Your welcome to email it to me if you want. And I do understand what Christmas is about. It's just 99% of the population think Christmas was always the celebration of Jesus Birth and it was not. Though not Christian I understand what it originally stood for, though now it is a hopeless commercial bastardization of what it once was.

Hmmm, ever thought that New Years day might not really be new years day, but an excuse for a Greek toga Party??

What year are we really in then?

Presumably, it was some sort of mid-winter celebration (Yuletide, or something like that?). Anyway, there's nothing unusual about religions adopting previous holidays or holy items and such. Why, the Qaaba (probably misspelt it) was there in Mecca before Mohammed came along.

But of course, while discussion of facts and such is perfectly normal, I think that the discussion of the "true meaning" of something like religion is very dangerous. And, for the same reasons which make it dangerous, it's also utterly pointless - regardless of what religion we adhere to (or not whether we don't adhere to any), each of us has his own notion of the true meaning of such things, and generally feels strongly about it (sometimes, even the atheists).

So, watch your mouth... err, hands.

The problem is that Vondoom fails to separate history from reality -- he states that this is "what Christmas is about"... the good Doctor is quite wrong in that respect. Perhaps that's what Christmas was about to people 2,000 years ago -- *not* what it is about to people today.

Okay... I guess some people don't like to bring out the subject of Christmas.

But would anyone... anyone be interested to hear some views I have about Christianity, the prophecy they believes in, and its relationship with my Wing Commander experience?

It's really fascinating you know.

-----------------------------------------------------------
Arvin Nathanael Chandra, 19
"I'm proud to be an Indonesian!"

Originally posted by Silent Warrior
Somehow, I kinda prefer Vondoom's version... I probably disrespect christianity too much these days...

Uhm... mind if I asked why? I promise to take no offense.

:)

Yeah, why, I don't disrespect Christianity at all. The Ideals behind it are admirable. Unfort, I'd say well over 95% of "Christians" don't even come close to the way of life Jesus set for everyone. People are just too judgemental and filled with hate. Don't confuse any Right-winger who calls himself a Christian with someone who is a true Christian. I had to laugh when Bush said Jesus was the most important person in his life. The governer who has killed more people than any other in history and Jesus is his role model. I think not. Although he would have fit in real well during the Old Testament times. It's not the religion that is flawed, but the followers.

Originally posted by TheFraix
But would anyone... anyone be interested to hear some views I have about Christianity, the prophecy they believes in, and its relationship with my Wing Commander experience?
Topics like religion are to be avoided (see Rules and Regulations).

Now I've seen it all :) We're discussing religion! I guess you could say that I'm an Atheist (SP?). I'm too into science than religion. Whenever we get into arguements about stuff like this at school, I say the same thing I'm about to say to you:

Prove it.

I'm Baptist by birth, and I don't disrespect people who don't look my way. It's their choice. But as an arguement ender when words are being thrown around over it, I use those two words. Works everytime. From the creation of the Earth, to the evolution of life, there's an scientifical explaination for it all.

Just my $0.02.

Back