Is WC Kilrathi Saga still desirable?

The dialogue please :) I'll no doubt PM you with questions regarding pronunciation. I've done voice acting a few times now, most recently on a mod for X-Wing Alliance, but what will take the time here is making a Kilrathi 'snarling' voice effect, and of course remixing the audio from the entire scene.

It'll be fun though. Thanks.

That's a bit of relief...I don't have a word for 'gothic'. Don't have a word for 'maggots' either, but that's what improv is for...

As for the snarling effect, I've done it before with Audacity; turned out as a descent WC3-esque Cat, IIRC. I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the program at this point but I recall the process being dropping the register of the speaker and adding a lion effect using the program's vocoder (?, it's been that long) settings.

EDIT: How much liberty do I have with the script? I mean, I don't have a word for 'monsieur'; would anybody be upset if I translated that line as "You bore me, stupid asshole..."?

That's a bit of relief...I don't have a word for 'gothic'. Don't have a word for 'maggots' either, but that's what improv is for...

As for the snarling effect, I've done it before with Audacity; turned out as a descent WC3-esque Cat, IIRC. I'd have to re-familiarize myself with the program at this point but I recall the process being dropping the register of the speaker and adding a lion effect using the program's vocoder (?, it's been that long) settings.

EDIT: How much liberty do I have with the script? I mean, I don't have a word for 'monsieur'; would anybody be upset if I translated that line as "You bore me, stupid asshole..."?

Alright, thanks for the info - and yes, I need to dust off Audacity once more. Now, regarding the translating - honestly you can take as many liberties as you like - because very few will be able to call you out and what I'm aiming for is just to have the Emperor and Thrakhath talking in something resembling Kilrathi, the fact you'll make it rather accurate Kilrathi is a bonus. I think seeing these aliens conversing in their native tongue alone would make a really interesting and unique video.

Regarding maggots, I guess we could use 'Utak' instead - although it's not literal, do you know any other Kilrathi words for something 'low down' like a maggot?

Regarding Angel's part, I hadn't actually intended Thrakath to address her in Kilrathi, as I'm guessing although Thrak speaks to the Emperor and the crowd in Kilrathi, he probably spoke to Deveraux in English. Of course, Angel may well have spoken in Kilrathi herself, so by all means (and if you can possibly manage the time) translate her lines too and I'll do a seperate version at some point to include her parts too.

Thanks man, your enthusiasm for Kilrathi has always staggered and impressed me.

No! Angel should still insert French words, even when speaking Kilrathi! :) Think about it, that's one of the defining features of her character's "voice" - that she inserts French words completely unnecessarily and unrealistically. Clearly, that's just the kind of person she is, and she should stay that way.

(also, it's probably more powerful for her to use the incomprehensible "monsieur" than any Kilrathi insult - Thrakhath probably spent the next three months driving Intel up the wall demanding that they figure out what "monsieur" means)

I've been having a blast with the intro video thus far, it'd be far too ghetto to simply dub over the existing voices - so I've stripped the audio, and compiled an entirely new soundtrack from scratch. The music remains original as there's a decent quality version of the intro music from this very site, everything else is new; from the Dralthi's engine effects, right down to the crowd noise from the Emperor's audience. Next up is some death screams from the incineration.

There's absolutely no hurry on the translation front, I've got my hands full doing the rest of the audio for now. That said, I've been experimenting with your tip regarding to the vocoder, I think I've made good progress thus far.

This might actually turn out pretty well!

You guys should make a new thread. This one has gone way off-topic with discussion of your project @-danr-

Admittedly cool notion to redub the intro in Kilrathi. I say keep monsieur too.

Back