Is hope out there?

As Blair says, there's always hope! (or... we die trying... either way.)

I think that a game set outside the Prophecy storyline is far more likely, though.

No. The whole "trilogy" thing is largely speculation - the man who made that claim had left Origin before Prophecy even came out.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had insight into what people had planned for the WC universe once upon a time? I would have liked for those lost novels to be written. Just seems like such a shame to put such an elaborate storyline to death...

On the whole I wouldn't wait up for another WC game, but sure it COULD happen!

But that isn't really an issue... Ever since I-War CGI hasn't really been bad. Edge of Chaos had great CGI cutscenes and so do many games nowadays. What I don't like are in-engine cutscenes a la SO...

I think he got it out of sheer finance...

As well as the current vogue. CGI is good enough nowadays. And noone could afford a new WCIV-style cutscene budget.

FMV was huge in the ninties because companies believed that it would lead to a "merge" between gaming and Hollywood. That didn't happen, and no one is willing to spend millions and millions on a financial dead end.

Bandit LOAF said:
no one is willing to spend millions and millions on a financial dead end.

[Insert joke here]

In the end, it was not good for WC to go from "3D Space Combat Simulator" to "Interactive Movie". Perhaps it can go back?

God knows the world needs one right about now... I haven't seen a single space sim worth buying since Edge of Chaos.

Stupid as it sounds, no game has matched the 'heart' of the Wing Commander series - since Prophecy, games have become increasingly beautiful... and have completely ignored the characters. Wing Commander wasn't great because of any sort of complexity, and it wasn't even great because it had a nice story... the thing that drew you into the original Wing Commander was the cast of characters. StarLancer's interactive fish and Freespaces... everything... just can't match that.

Apparently it's harder to make interesting characters than a nice 3D game engine. I think it was John Romero who said that, on vide-games, the story was as important as on an adult movie. Well, WC proves him wrong.

Developing interesting characters is a skill which is naturally lacking in 99% of technical computer people, just as working on 3D engines is impossible for most writters. The problem is that people think that anyone can write good stories... and that's why John Carmack is right in most instances of video games in general ( note: "video games" includes PC games for this article).

The point most people miss in this particular debate is that each player look for a different thing in the games they play. I love Wing Commander for its characters AND its fun space arcadey combat AND etc. I like I-War 2 because it looks good and has an amazing developed universe to fly around. I like Freespace games because they have a good engine, good gameplay and BIG cap ships... And X-BtF because it makes me sleep like a rock. I like most Space-sims for differente reasons, I see no need to hate all others just because WC is the best. WC will never be substituted, but there are several OTHER good Space ship games to play.

We cannot measure all games by a single factor. Some people like playing CS with other pre-teens in LANhouses and shout a lot, others prefer to humiliate adversaries with lightining victories in seconds in WarCraft III...

There is no paradigm of what factors are essential in a game, only PERSONAL paradigms. Quake had NO story-telling and made Game History, Half-Life had great story-telling and made Game History all the same. And both were FPSs.

Back