Install Problems with WC2

mp84

Spaceman
Hey Guys,

I looked around this forums for a bit, and couldn't find what i was looking for, wondering if maybe posting here would help get a reponse.

If this has been repeated before I deeply apoligize for the double post, however, I couldn't find a problem that's similiar to this.

So...

I have the Wing Commander 2 Deluxe Edition CD, and went to try to install it with DosBox 0.65, and while the install screen pops up, I'm able to choose the sound settings , etc...

When it goes to copy the files it says "Cannot find People.V07, installation aborted"

Now, I looked at the CD and its clearly there in the gamedat folder, so what I tried to do is manually transfer all the files from the CD, to the Wing2 DIR I created in the my c drive..

So the game works, however, there is no sound, I'm assuming its because I could not get a proper installation for it to activate the sound...

So, what I also tried, I saw on this forums that someone had a good Autoexec file that people used, so I downloaded D-Fend, and copy and pasted this autoexec file: (Which is how I got WC3 to work a couple of days ago, whcih I'm very happy hehe)

Wing Commander II:
===============

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullfixed=false
fullresolution=1024x768
output=surface
hwscale=1.00
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=64

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=6500
cycleup=500
cycledown=500

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=true
intelligent=true
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
type=sb16
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
rate=22050
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true

[modem]
modem=false
comport=2
listenport=23

[directserial]
directserial=false
comport=1
realport=COM1
defaultbps=1200
parity=N
bytesize=8
stopbit=1

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
loadfix
mount C C:\wing2
C:
cd wing2
wc2.exe
exit

Now when I try to start the game again, there is still no sound..

Is there anything I'm missing? or anything that you can clue me in on? Its quite weird, that it won't find this particular file, yet its there on the CD :(, ~~~..

Any help, greatly appreciated, thanks!

MP

Post Update, still can't get it to work, but what i also tried, was:

copying all the files to the C Drive, then try to install the game from there, however, it keeps on asking me to put in Disk 1, so I don't know how i can get it to detect the CD instead..

Also, I used the command "winstall" as well, and I was able to set the sound settings there, however, when after wc2 is typed, it just freezes after Expanded Memory..

So still trying to get it to work :)

thanks ..

MP

haha!..

Kept on doing some searching on this forums, and I used another autoexec someone posted, then did the same "winstall" and now the sound and everything works like charm!..

So, I guess everything is all cool for now! (We'll see how the missions go, gonna try one or two, but not really gonna play it till my copy of the original Wing Commander arrived by Monday :)

MP

I just observed that the "loadfix" command inside the
[autoexec] section isn't quite correct...

It should be used in-line within the command to run the WC2 executable. (Play around with the number if you get out-of-memory errors)

eg.

Code:
mount c c:\wing2
c:
cd wing2
loadfix -32 wc2
exit

Back