Important: Wing Commander for Charity (April 18, 2006)

Bandit LOAF

Long Live the Confederation!
Origin veteran Sean Murphy will be riding in a charity bicycle event, and he has an offer you shouldn't refuse: Wing Commander renderings for charity! Here's the deal:
I don't know if you're familiar with the MS150, a charity fundraising bike ride that's taking place next weekend; it's an organized fundraiser in which about 12,000 riders pedal from Houston to Austin over two days. I've ridden it before in 2003, and my wife has ridden it pretty much every year since 2001.

This year I'm riding it again with my wife, and this year our nine-year old son is going to be joining us. He's excited, but of course we'll see how it goes - 180 miles is a long way!

I know it's not specifically WC related, so here's my offer: for every donation I receive over $20, I'll create a custom wallpaper-quality render of one of the ships I've still got files for - the Shrike, Devastator, Midway, Murphy Destroyer, Vindicator, and Stingray. I'll send them to you guys to post on the site for public download, to use as you want.

http://ms150.org/ms150/donate/donate.cfm?id=185739

You can also learn more about the MS150 and Multiple Sclerosis at their home site: http://www.ms150.org/ms150/

Last year riders raised about nine and a half million dollars for MS research and for assistance for those with MS. This year they're shooting for 10 million in donations.

Thanks!

Sean Murphy is a former Origin artist who worked on Wing Commander IV, Prophecy and Secret Ops; you can find his online portfolio here. More importantly is that he's always been there for us - he's been keeping up with Wing Commander fandom, sending us artwork and answering our obscure questions about Wing Commander development for many years now.

Sean is a great guy and this is an excellent opportunity to show your support for both a good cause and for the Wing Commander community! We'll match his awesome rendering offer in so much as we can: anyone who donates $20 may have an avatar at the forums -- $20 is easier to come up with than the 2,000 posts ordinarily required!

Sean asks that anyone donating through the CIC please add one cent to the total -- ie, $25.01 instead of $25. That way he'll be able to track how many wallpapers he needs to make! Feel free to contact us with any questions. Lets earn some awesome graphics and do some good at the same time. Here's some of Sean's past work:

--
Original update published on April 18, 2006

Last edited by a moderator:
I see how Sean's going to keep track, but how are the CIC mod's going to know? Should we donate using our CIC usernames?

edit: come to think of it, I might donate anonymously but following his add .01 to donation rule so the site gets a free wallpaper and I can still earn my avatar.

I'll trust anyone who says they donated and deserves an avatar.

... and if I ever find out they were lying, heaven help them because LOAF certainly won't.

I can certainly post a list of names of contributors as well; I get a summary of all donations by name and amount, so I can post it when it's all done.

Wow - this post has only been up for a few hours and you guys have already thrown in almost $200...awesome. Very cool.

I've donated $20.01. It's under David Atkinson Perlman if you need to verify it. I decided I'm not likely to post 1,848 things any time soon.

I've donated too--$26.01 courtesy of The Origin Museum!

Now, let's go Connor! Make us Wing Commanders PROUD! :)

(someone should send a CIC bumper sticker for him to wear on his helmet!)

"...Preserving Worlds...

I forgot to include Super Wing Commander in the list of games in the update. Sean Murphy made a signifi-Krant contribution to that game as well.

Bandit LOAF said:
"Sean Murphy made a signifi-Krant contribution to that game..."

Ouch...it's way too early in the morning, with not nearly enough coffee ingested yet for that kind of pun...

How much is $25.01 in £? I feel like donating, but I presume that's something like 18 pounds or something. Just wanted to make sure, so my Mum doesn't go haywire!

The official tally:

10 CIC donations, for a total of $291! (And, of course, 10 cents!). Contributors are:

Peter Griffin
Joseph Garrity
Christopher Reid
Katharyn Downing
Benjamin Lesnick,
Asher Lawson
David Atkinson Perlman
Jesse Shelton
Bryn Schwormstedt
Barrie Almond

You guys are great.

So - Connor has met (and exceeded!) his minimum donation amount. You have all earned yourselves 10 custom wallpapers, which I will get busy on next week (after the ride). Of course, additional donations are welcome, but since he's met his minimum the pressure's off.

Thanks, you guys!

Peidu said:
How much is $25.01 in £? I feel like donating, but I presume that's something like 18 pounds or something. Just wanted to make sure, so my Mum doesn't go haywire!

Yeah, it's a bit less than that, but you put the number in in dollars and the credit card company converts that into your local currency.

Taser8 said:
So - Connor has met (and exceeded!) his minimum donation amount. You have all earned yourselves 10 custom wallpapers, which I will get busy on next week (after the ride). Of course, additional donations are welcome, but since he's met his minimum the pressure's off.

Great. Feel free to space them out a bit as well.

Alright, since I don't have nearly the income to come up with this amount of money in that time (cause I'm a teenager) I've recommended this to him. If it is it'll be donated by Michael Ninov.

Good luck with the ride, Sean!

Cycling 180 miles over two days is quite an endeavour and a great form of exercise -- I've ridden a local 104km cycle tour a few times, so you have my admiration! :D In this case there is the added benefit of being able to support a very worthwhile cause and I wish you and your family all the best and hope you all have an enjoyable time.

Glad to help out.

Cheers,

BrynS

So... um... about that Avatar... Is there something I'm supposed to do or someone I'm supposed to talk to in order to get it?

Oh, people who want avatars should e-mail me (loaf@wcnews.com) with your user name and I'll set it up.

Back