If there was another 2nd WC movie/film....

Treguard

Spaceman
Which composer would you think's best?

If they couldn't afford David Arnold, then Dennis McCarthy would be an excellent choice (he did Star Trek Generations). It depends though. He's used to writing music for Star Trek, and he might not be able to capture (well the size of the ships for one thing)

Of course, we all know that George Lucas isn't the one who composed the music for the Star Wars movies. John Williams is the man that you want.

John Williams is on his way out (although that might make him cheaper) and his best music was in the last two decades.

John Williams, whether you like it or not, makes an insane amount of money per movie. A high end composer, like Horner, is some where in the $300,000 to $500,000 a film (then think of Jerry Goldsmith who wrote 70 scores in 10 years!). Williams makes an ungodly amount of money from royalties alone. Sure, with the exception of AI, he hasn't written anything really original since the last Indy movie, but look at all the work he's done before that... He's hardly on his way out. The man is a busy, busy guy. He'll probably be in front of the Boston Pops again for another New Year's special.

Dennis McCarthy? Ew. No no no. Let him stick to composing Enterprise and random episodes of Stargate SG-1.

If you wanted a low-end composer with a solid epic quality, your best bets would be Michael Giacchino (Medal of Honor game series, TV's Alias), John Frizzell (Alien Ressurection, Thirteen Ghosts) or Craig Armstrong (Romeo + Juliet, Bone Collector, Moulin Rouge).

Why wouldn't you give Oldziey or Fatman a shot anyway?

Or Hans Zimmer who did Gladiator and Pearl Harbor (humm, by the way, we write "Pearl Harbor" or "Pearl Harbour" ? I've always used the first)

The first spelling is correct.

Hans Zimmer is a Ennio Morricone wanna-be. The only scores that he did that were any good were "The Thin Red Line" and "Prince of Egypt".

Originally posted by NoRemorse
(...) (humm, by the way, we write "Pearl Harbor" or "Pearl Harbour" ? I've always used the first)
Depends if you're British or American... Brits say "harbour", Americans "harbor"...

The movie is called "Pearl Harbor", though if you refer to the event of 1941 in a historical context, you can say either...

btw, on his way out, I meant that he's getting old, and has little new material in him (just take the Harry Potter score for instance (shudder)

People who 'shudder' when talking about film scores probably have some serious nerve damage. You should see a professional.

Originally posted by Treguard
btw, on his way out, I meant that he's getting old, and has little new material in him (just take the Harry Potter score for instance (shudder)

Sounds like you were spoon-fed (and burped) that particular opinion. You can bitch and moan and whine until the cows come home that Williams's score to Potter ain't great.

You can say it sounds like Hook. Or Home Alone. Or, fuck, that it sounds like Danny Elfman in the early 90s.

Doesn't mean you're right.

I can name several reasons William's score to Harry Potter was actually good.

*It wasn't the London Symphony for once. It was Sinfonia of London, which works out of Air Lyndhurst studios in Lyndhurst, England. This assembly is usually used by David Arnold (Stargate, ID4) and more recently by Goldsmith for The 13th Warrior.

*It has a lot of damned good music that sounds Williams without too much cheese.

*It's not James Horner

*"The Chess Match" is a brilliant body of orchestration that sounds very little like Williams.

*"The Quidditch Match" opens with a gorgeous brass fanfare that most composers couldn't begin to write.

*It doesn't have James Horner's damned metallic drum.

*It's not Hans Zimmer, the most overrated composer in the entire industry.

*It's Williams. I bet you a thousand dollars you can't write one epic that is nearly as good as the stuff he did between 1967 and 1989.

So there.

stop it

It is sad to think someone would bad mouth guys that write music as a proffession. Unless you have written music an can do a better job don't whine! And also just because you don't like it does not mean that therefore it is bad!!!

-Vindicator-

Vindicator is correct. ::Firm handshake for him::

Also, I believe I stated several facts in my last post: #1, 3, 4, 6, the first half of 7 and the whole of 8.

The problem with popular opinion is that it's actually popular stupidity. You can find 1000 people who think the Phantom Menace sucks and hear what you've heard a 100,000 times before, or you could listen to someone who thought it was OK.

Originally posted by mpanty

Depends if you're British or American... Brits say "harbour", Americans "harbor"...

The movie is called "Pearl Harbor", though if you refer to the event of 1941 in a historical context, you can say either...
No. The actual location is Pearl Harbor, Hawaii -- a proper noun denoting a specific place . Therefore, when referring to that place or the event for which it is perhaps best-known, the proper spelling is without the 'u'.

Now, when referring to the geographical concept of a harbor in general, then yes, the use of the 'u' is acceptable.

And what does that leave the average Dutch boy trying to learn English: confused

I actually remember that in the first grade of Gymnasium (when I was 13) my English teacher didn't allow me to spell colour as color.
And I didn't know it was any other way, because I was used to color from the GW-BASIC 'COLOR' keyword. :D

Back