Idea: WC1 to WCA conversion

FekLeyrTarg

Rear Admiral
Hello people,

with the successful modification attempts on the Realspace2D engine in the past 5 years, I've been thinking of a rather interesting idea.
What do you think about a Wing Commander 1 Total Conversion for Wing Commander Academy?
Would something like this be feasible with what we currently know about modding WCA?

What do you think about a Wing Commander 1 Total Conversion for Wing Commander Academy?
Would something like this be feasible with what we currently know about modding WCA?

I'm not sure where you're going with this. What benefits are you looking forward to in the Academy engine compared with WC1? The technical enhancements are marginal.

isn't WCA limited to Dosbox to run properly?

Yeah, there isn't a windows version of Academy, if that's what you mean, but running in DOSBox isn't really a problem.

I'm not sure where you're going with this. What benefits are you looking forward to in the Academy engine compared with WC1? The technical enhancements are marginal.
In this case, it's not about technical enhancements but rather the ability to build missions in WCA using the ships from WC1.

It would also be pretty great to have the missing ships from WC2... pretty sure someone would have to redraw the interface, though.

In this case, it's not about technical enhancements but rather the ability to build missions in WCA using the ships from WC1.

Aside from a few test cases (of non-WC1/2 ships) some while back, I don't think anyone is actively trying to add ships to Academy. While it would be cool from a mission building perspective, I think the motivation for someone to go through this effort would be to create new missions rather than try to recreate WC1.

Unfortunately, WCA is just too limited as a mission editor to be anything more than a toy. It must have been pretty exciting back when it was first released, and no one could even dream about mission editing tools, but today? Meh.

I remember making missions for HCl's first WC3 editor. I think I had to input co-ordinates by hand in dos. It was a total trial and error thing. I went by Firefly back then.

[Sorry didn't see the age of the last post since it wasn't far down the first page.]

Back