I haven't been around this board for a long time...

Oh, belive me Quarto it's average.
smile.gif
The gameplay and plot are more linear than I've ever seen, and the replay value is low, in fact, I think it's the lowest I've seen in a space sim. The gameplay is prety good, and the missions design is very well done, but a lot of the missions are unbalanced. You can successfully complete 10 missions in a row, and then encounter an extremly tough one, and it just happens that this is one of the missions that you absolutly have to win.
smile.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, that sort of thing. Aye, I know the type. Freespace was like that (took me ages to finish that escape pod rescue mission), and so was X-Wing... though surprisingly, the Death Star Destroying mission was dead easy - get to the trench, and go on a joyride. Didn't even have to shoot at anything, except at the end when I had to take a torpedo pot shot (no targetting - you had to use the Force
wink.gif
) at that duct thingy. I actually got it in one, though it's not one of life's great achievements
smile.gif

What? Where?
smile.gif

Believe it or not, once you're in the trench, the only thing that can hurt you is a collision with the wall, or one of the turrets. There's precious little in the way of fighters. And of course, you're the only Rebel out there.

What I hated in Xwing is the fact that if you failed a secondary objective, you couldn`t advance to the next mission.
I kind of got stuck in one of the missions and gave up. Maybe I should try again.

I agree, that was very irritating. Particularly back in the days when I was trying to play with the mouse/keyboard...
(Yes, Earthworm, I do play X-Wing with a joystick - the game designers don't leave you much choice)
Still, I eventually got past every mission that I was stuck on. In the main part of the game, that is (up to the Trench Run). I've since started on the add-ons, but I've never gotten anywhere, because I don't feel like playing it... maybe in another year or so (that's how long I originally had X-Wing before I really started playing it
smile.gif
).
But some of the cutscenes are nice, if you don't mind the graphics (I don't, but others might). And there's a hell of a lot of satisfaction in taking down an ISD's shield generators and watching the Y-Wings dive in on torpedo runs.

The X-Wing I had had about three TIE-Advanced prototypes firing missiles at me when I came out of hyperspace.

Of course, there were those gangways besides the trench walls. The turbolasers were no threat.

Yes, there might have been one or two TIE Advanceds out there, but generally speaking, I pumped my gun power into the engines, and dove into the trench.
smile.gif

Oh yes, the mission before glory.:=)
I'll give you this, you know how to manage your resources. It's a pity WC missions rarely require such thinking.

They used to, back in WC1. Of course, most people instead of using their brains preferred to try the standard (go there, kill all, go to next nav) method, no matter how many thousands of tries it took.
But I'm sure we'll manage something for UE
wink.gif

I can only think of a few missions, could you ellaborate?

I'm sure we'll see comments like "hey this mission sucks, I can't beat it" or "I wouldn't pay for a game like this"
biggrin.gif
I think most people we be pleased with the end result, though.

Yes, I'll elaborate... later. It's still all very rough, and so far, most of the missions I have written down are pretty much normal - but I'll be changing that very soon.
I think in the end, all the people who are willing to think will be happy. And as for the others... stuff 'em.

No, I meant what WC1 missions were you referring to that required thinking?

Yes, I don't see them doing much in the way of helping to make more hours of WC enjoyment. If they want to complain, let em. They're not the people putting in their spare time without pay to make this possible.

Well, every single Dralthi mission required some thinking if you were planning to survive. Hmm... actually, in most of the "thinking" missions, the problem was really survival... ah, well. We can change that.

Hmm I don't know if you had to give it much thought, but there was arguably as much needed as any other WC mission, I guess.

That gives me an idea about the Gratha.

[This message has been edited by Death's Head (edited May 27, 2000).]

I remember one mission in WC2 that you had to think a bit. The one where you have to shoot down the Prince there.

I could never get past the first bunch of stealths that you got to, so instead I just flew around the nav without the autopilot and got to the space station that way. It took a few minutes, but i think I just watched TV for a while
smile.gif

Fancy that. That's exactly what I did the first few times
smile.gif
. Except for the TV part - I usually just flew far enough so that when I used the autopilot, I didn't pass near the Strakha.

One of the first games I played was WC2, at first I wasn't that good-I didn't play WC1 that much for a couple years.

When I first got to that asteroid field, I thought crap, I can't engage these buggers here...but if I draw them out of the field I can take 'em.

LOL, I'm watching tv almost every mission I fly.
smile.gif

Heh... the first time I played WC2, I managed to go down the losing path
smile.gif
. Actually, the first time I played WC1, I also went down the losing path, but I managed to turn things around and got back to the winning path... barely
smile.gif
. Still, it sure was fun to fly Scims for most of the game.

Back