I have been trying all night and searching for a way to get the HD video files into the GOG WC IV.

Yes it should be possible, but first off, did you get the game running with the DVD videos first?

Skipped that step and went right for the new HD files, get a black screen and an error message that says "an object or name was not found". What steps should I do to resolves it? TY

EDIT: Just so you know, I wasn't just taking a shortcut, just didn't think it would do any good to throw any of those or those dll files I had been told about into the GOG folder.

Last edited:
Skipped that step and went right for the new HD files, get a black screen and an error message that says "an object or name was not found". What steps should I do to resolves it? TY

EDIT: Just so you know, I wasn't just taking a shortcut, just didn't think it would do any good to throw any of those or those dll files I had been told about into the GOG folder.
You should not need any of the old patch dlls for the install. GOG's version is already the DVD version and should come with the DVD videos when you download it. That said, the mechanism that lets the game play the HD files is essentially the same as the one that plays the DVD ones, so to troubleshoot it you have to kind of know where in the process the game is breaking. If you didn't have it working at all before trying the HD ones then it could be any number of issues including improper compatibility modes, lack of codecs, or even a directory structure issue.

'missing movie" error messages can be caused by a codec issue. If you know you have the appropriate codecs installed, you could try using something like the K-lite codec tweak tool to tell windows which decoders prioritize and associate with the format you're trying to play.

Update, the K-Lite codec pack I downloaded got it working. Just one problem, the video is two big and things are being cropped out of the game video. Is this something I can change in K-Lite Codec Pack? Thanks.

Last edited:
Update, the K-Lite codec pack I downloaded got it working. Just one problem, the video is two big and things are being cropped out of the game video. Is this something I can change in K-Lite Codec Pack? Thanks.
For the scaling issues you *should* be able to address those in the compatibility tab of the game EXE properties. I don't remember exactly which setting it is, but on the compatiblity tab there should be a "change high DPI settings button" which will open up a list of options that should help.

EDIT : Did some digging and I believe you want to check the box that says "override high DPI scaling behavior" and then choose "scaling performed by application"

Last edited:
That section is greyed out in Windows 10, but I chose 640 by 480 in the main compatibility area and the videos are not cropped now, and the problem goes away, but with a caveat. The screen is now stretched widescreen. Annoying in the game mode.

EDIT: Btw, that option you mentioned is greyed out, but it is checked.

Last edited:
That section is greyed out in Windows 10, but I chose 640 by 480 in the main compatibility area and the videos are not cropped now, and the problem goes away, but with a caveat. The screen is now stretched widescreen. Annoying in the game mode.

EDIT: Btw, that option you mentioned is greyed out, but it is checked.
I'm running win10 and it's not greyed out for me. the "application" part is greyed out though until you check the overide checkbox above it. Also it's possible your video card/drivers could be playing a role here as well in what it lets you do

The override is greyed out as well.

The two settings you want me to have running are both checked, but both are greyed out.

But what bothers me is that my operating system won't let me change it.

More of Windows wanting to limit what we can do on our own PC.

EDIT: I can change it if I choose "Change settings for all users".

Back