I can't win BiFrost 2

Yes, but that would require listening/reading the briefing! People have gotten used to fluffer briefings that are entirely vestigial in modern games! :p

As far as I'm concerned the original Wing Commander is the only game that DOESN'T have fluffer briefings. I don't know why more games don't try to emulate the briefing/funerals/ceremonies of the original Wing Commander. The best you'll ever see is some lame 5 second cutscene of your nameless character having a medal pinned on him. Even in Wing Commander II the briefings and funerals just lack the same depth they had in WC1.

I don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion. Neither the briefings nor the funerals were shorter than in WC1, and on top of that there was a lot more emotions involved. WC1's briefings offered very little non-mission-related information. You could easily skip most of the briefings and still know what's going on. In WC2, meanwhile, the briefings were fully integrated into the storyline. IMO, there is no question that WC2 had more depth in every way.

I don't see how you could possibly come to that conclusion. Neither the briefings nor the funerals were shorter than in WC1, and on top of that there was a lot more emotions involved. WC1's briefings offered very little non-mission-related information. You could easily skip most of the briefings and still know what's going on. In WC2, meanwhile, the briefings were fully integrated into the storyline. IMO, there is no question that WC2 had more depth in every way.

Meh, to each his own. I always have preferred WC1's to WC2's.

At least until wc1-sm2 anyway... which was written as a prelude/ prologue to wc2. But in that case they didn't have many options so they squeezed all the story into the bar conversations and the mission briefings.

it has been ages since I played the Secret Missions of Wing Commander 1 and 2.
I wonder if they should have made an expansion to Wing Commander 3?
Although the time gap between Heart of the Tiger and Price of Freedom was about 1-2 years it would have been nice to play a pilot part of a tasking force overseeing the disarmanent of the Kilrathi forces or something.....

I wonder if they should have made an expansion to Wing Commander 3?
Although the time gap between Heart of the Tiger and Price of Freedom was about 1-2 years it would have been nice to play a pilot part of a tasking force overseeing the disarmanent of the Kilrathi forces or something.....
It wouldn't have made any sense. Expansions are usually harder and (in terms of storyline) more desperate than the original. So, you thought winning in Vega was easy? Well, try going behind the lines to destroy a secret Kilrathi super-weapon! So, you thought winning the Kilrathi War was easy? Well, try... err... disarming the defeated Kilrathi? :p

Well care to join me? *chuckles*
I'll just hope on the available carrier or two.
Both filled with Excalibur Squadrons armed to the teeth and tell them Kitty Cats that we have made another Templor Bomb and will not hesitate to use it again
heehee

to each his own. I always have preferred WC1's to WC2's.

It's all good if you prefer one to another, but it's incorrect to say WC2 "skimped" on briefings. As Quarto pointed out, the briefings themselves are more elaborate as they often express more than just mission objectives and a couple lines of banter, and they take place in diverse locations outside the briefing room fairly often.

Back