How to kill Demons in Gemini Gold?

Chicken

Spaceman
I'm wondering how in the hell I can kill Demons, those rascally little bastards piloted by Hunters, not only by spamming them with missiles?

Currently I'm on the 3rd Oxford mission, but the tranport keeps on sucking space dust after the Demons show up. I have a great time hitting the little bastards too, like trying to shoot in a large ocean.

It seems no hostile can resist the initial and frequently subsequent head-on attacking runs. With the shields you have in the GG Steltek Drone Campaign, facing these ships head on for any length of time can lead to a badly crippled and helpless ship.

Exploiting the above irresistible characteristic of the hostiles allows frequent quick kills, but as always, timing is key.

GG Recipe For Survival

1) load up on dumbfires

2) approach from as far away as possible the enemy who decides to take you on with a "12 to 12" heads on attack; this may require afterburning away from the fray and then heading back into it when you're out around 8-10,000 clicks, especially if you've autopiloted right on top of the enemy ships, or even may require that you don't use autopilot, but fly manually the entire way to the desired nav point

3) once the initial energy bolts from the attacking enemy ship start to hit your ship, fire 1 or 2 dumbfires and pull off the attack vector in order to prevent total shield loss and susequently armor/component damage.

4) expect to hear that explosion as the ship you fired upon goes "pop" about 80-85% of the time

When facing heavy odds FF missiles for talons, DF for all others.

I rely on this method the get the enemy numbers down when I'm facing 1 on 4 or more odds, especially with the Kilrathi. In many of the scripted missions, especially those with enemy Kilrathi or Merc demons, it almost is mandatory to whittle down the ship numbers to a level where dogfighting with guns becomes possible. Using this 'head-on-dumfire-hit-and-run' tactic I was able to finish off all the demons in the Palan Mission 3 from 10,000 clicks away without even smudging the wax on my centurion.

Remember to land and re-load up on dumbfires or any of the other missiles and repair as needed, as the mission stays active with your progress intact (say you've knocked out 4 of 8 demons blockading Palan but have run out of missiles and no longer have a nominally operating ship due to damage) as long as you don't attempt to save.

3rd oxford

It did take me a couple of tries to get this one, as well as most people. Keep a close proximity to the freighter, and make sure that you take out at least two demons within the first ten seconds or you're probably screwed. You may have to spring for some autotracking on at least one of your guns too, but the important thing is to not let them draw you away from the transport, and stay on the charge. You have to keep trying until you knock 'em quickly enough.

Aaaarghhh :)

took me the whole day to complete this mission. even on "easier" its brutal...

There's not much to add to the previous explanations regarding the tactics. (i use the torpedos instead, but thats a detail...)

The old Privateer had a nice feature in this particular mission: You had to bring the books to Oxford, but not necessarily abord the drayman. If it blew up, you could retrieve the cargo-boxes (were like three of them or so) and could complete the mission anyway.

I see my post was somewhat unresponsive to the actual topic about how to kill the demons in the Oxford mission, but was rather a ramble on how to kill them in general. The demons in the Masterson mission seem to resist the head-on attack with you and concentrate on attacking the drayman. In this scenario I completely agree that torps are best, as you can go bam-bam-bam-bam with them and not need to wait for re-loading of the DF. In the PR version you could load up 40 torps in a centurion at one time (don't know if this has change with v1.1 or 1.2). GG only allows 20 torps across two missile launchers, similar to the original.

Chicken is asking about GG, so autotrackers are not part of the mix. It may be my imagination, but the enemy ships seem to fly more linear in GG than PR, so autotrackers, which are mandatory in PR, become unnecessary.

I played the original Privateer/RF missions dozens of times, and never knew you could simply tractor in the books and deliver them yourself to complete the mission. Will wonders never cease.

The original privateer gave you 40 torpedoes, but they required a different launcher. In this case, PR is closer to the original than Gemini!

I remember PR 1.2 only with 20 torpedoes just like Gemini Gold or am i wrong? I think only PR 1.0 had the option to buy 40 torpedoes.

Privateer gave you 40 torpedoes with a special launcher? Can't remember this really anyone who knows it for sure?

I don't think there where 40 torpedos in the original... This was just a Remake 1.0 thing... but it is 20 torp in the remake since 1.1 as well...

I did this mission with a centurian with 20 FF missiles and 4 neutron guns. took me a whole lot of tries though.
As soon as I arrived at the scene I started firing my ff missiles like crazy, trying as much as possible to focus them on the same demon until it pops (3-4 missiles usually do the trick)
When I killed 3 I concentrated on taking out the 2 kilrathi ships. don't take the kilrathi out right away. They help a little by firing on the demons if you're lucky.

Observe the demons : they fly away fast and then make an attack run on the drayman. While they do their attack run they are vulnerable. You need some good aiming and some luck, but it's doable :)

Your All Major Geeks Who Still With There Parents And Are 40 Years Of Age U Have Sholder Lenght Hair And Are Very Fat

wow... what a totally inaccurate statement. you should check your spelling too. anyways... last time i checked i don't turn 18 until Nov. 24 and im only 120lbs

Unregistered said:
Your All Major Geeks Who Still With There Parents And Are 40 Years Of Age U Have Sholder Lenght Hair And Are Very Fat

Welcome to the Ban List Lord Yaksha!

Also, read the Forums Rules other people:
1) If you think another user is breaking the rules, do not flame or harass them. Contact the administrators instead.

I am stuck at oxford 3 too. Years ago when i played original privateer, i do not
remember being this hard. Have only played oxford 3 two times but am not even getting close, though i am not complaining. Better too hard than too easy. And when daemon decides to strafe, i could not seem to get to him. my reflexes arenot
what they used to be.

Haha... you banned Master Wooky? Well done...
I bet I know this guy. He's a member of the same institute I am. Actually he is the guy who made me familliar with GG...
Yet, all I can say is well done.... He is such a... can't say or I'll be banned too... ~~~

Back