How Old is Thrakheth?

Maj.Striker

Swabbie
Banned
Quick question...I'm sure Loaf knows but I haven't seen anything definitive on this. Reading the Voices of War from Armada...he is mentioned as being active as early as 2634...assuming he was extremely young then he's still got to be like 60 or so in WC3. Just a random thought.

The question is, how long do Kilrathi live -- for that matter, how long do humans live in the late 2600's. It's perfectly possible that Tolwyn be a hundred and twenty and keeping himself fit, for example -- a civilization that can create the Gen Select weapon surely can keep someone alive and active for a century or so. Thrak, being royalty, would definitely have access to the best medical care.

Maj.Striker said:
Quick question...I'm sure Loaf knows but I haven't seen anything definitive on this. Reading the Voices of War from Armada...he is mentioned as being active as early as 2634...assuming he was extremely young then he's still got to be like 60 or so in WC3. Just a random thought.

LOAF's in Boston today.. but I remember once people talking about Kilrathi maturing and going into service at a younger age than humans. Can't remember right now if we refuted that or not though. It's possible that he's in his low 40s in WC3, even if there's a 2634 activity mention though.

Well I always thought of it this way: Cats don't live very long when compared to humans, even the larger cats like Tigers/Lions. Also cats produce more offspring than humans do. So you have a warrior culture that produces lots of young cannon-fodder for endless wars. Those that do live to be old age are venerated in their society because they survived their younger days of fighting. One can assume that not many Kilrathi males reach old age.

If the average human lifespan is give or take 90-100 years (I'd hope it's at least this much in the future!) I would guess the average max. age for a cat would be 50-70 years.

Of course this is all just guesswork. I don't recall if there is any actual lore about it.

I don't think so. I'm sorry I am at work and don't have the Voices of War manual in front of me but the mention of thrakheth in 2634 was something like "leads attack on human colony etc." Even assuming he was only 15 (incredibly young) he'd be 50 by the time setting of WC3 (according to Loaf's mention of 2669 in the WCU thread).

If you look back at human history, this sort of thing HAS happened -- crazy but true. Also see the movie "Master and Commander" to see just at what young age noble kids were put into officer positions.

In Freedom Flight I believe there's a reference to him serving in some senior command position at a young age, though I can't find my copy of FF to verify that.

Yes, all indications are that the Kilrathi mature very quickly - which means that Thrakhath was probably born around 2634 (since he was too young to fight at McAuliffe). That means he'd be in his mid thirties (35-36) in Wing Commander III.

Argh. I just realized I was thinking of the wrong Kilrathi noble with my last post.

Mea culpa.

Bandit LOAF said:
Yes, all indications are that the Kilrathi mature very quickly - which means that Thrakhath was probably born around 2634 (since he was too young to fight at McAuliffe). That means he'd be in his mid thirties (35-36) in Wing Commander III.

Okay, I'm at home and have access to the Voices of War manual. I quote:

Sun Year 5117

"Thrakhath’s forces successfully invade and occupy McAuliffe, a colonized Terran world abundant in metal resources and convenient to Kilrah’s jump points. Upon claiming the planet, warriors take countless captives to prevent reciprocative attacks by the Confederation. (Leaders have concluded that the race follows a religious belief that values individual lives.)"

This entry was made directly below the 2634.235 Confed entry regarding McAulliffe...leads me to believe that Thrakhath had to have been born at least a few years prior to this. Even if we can assume that Kilrathi mature at a rapidly accelerated rate...how do we explain the passing of knowledge? I.E. If a human child could mature into an adult in 4 years how would it be able to function? It must still be taught how to read and write, mathematics, how society functions...this passing of knowledge would take some time even at an accelerated rate. I would think a minimum of 10 years. But again, I'm just talking realistically from what i know.

Is it possible that the Thrakhath mentioned there is actually the CINC of the Kilrathi Fleet in SM1, the Prince's father?

The way I understood the situation in Action Stations, which chronicles the McAullife attack, is that Thrakhath was in his mid to late adolescence at that point in history.
Now if you think about it apes don't live quite as long as humans do, and over time and evolution the human lifespan has been extended quite a bit. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thrakhath was even 80 by the time of WC3.

Okay, I'm at home and have access to the Voices of War manual. I quote:

I'm on the set of an exciting new movie!

... but you're converting wrong. 5117 is 2639. That entry is about what Claw Marks called the "Enyo Engagement" and then all subsequent timelines changed to be about McAuliffe. The "Enyo/McAuliffe Engagement", I suppose we should call it.

Is it possible that the Thrakhath mentioned there is actually the CINC of the Kilrathi Fleet in SM1, the Prince's father?

No, his name was Gilkarg. (Actually, a second name has been used to refer to him - a silver florin to whomever cites it.)

The way I understood the situation in Action Stations, which chronicles the McAullife attack, is that Thrakhath was in his mid to late adolescence at that point in history.
Now if you think about it apes don't live quite as long as humans do, and over time and evolution the human lifespan has been extended quite a bit. So I wouldn't be at all surprised if Thrakhath was even 80 by the time of WC3.

I'm not quite sure where you're coming from logically speaking. The given fact is that Kilrathi mature much more quickly - Hobbes was a flag officer when he was four human years old. Thrakhath, however, wasn't old enough to fight in 2634... which means that he probably isn't yet four years old. That said, we can guess that his age in 2669 is the current year minus the year of Action Stations (2634) +/- four... with a suggestion that the lower number is probably more correct.

Re: *maximum* Kilrathi ages. Using similar logic, the emperor was +75 years old in 2669... and at the time he claimed he was so old that he didn't expect to live another year.

Sylvester said:

No, that was Gilkarg nar Kiranka. Thrakhath isn't a family name or clan, it refers to one individual.

Roughly equal, as far as we've seen. The Sivar-Eshrad was an annual Kilrathi event that happened on the same day each Terran Year... and the references to 'Kilrah Years' match up to human years in False Colors.

(That said, it's not as crazy a concept as it seems - the rare planets that are in the 'green band' of a star *should* have years of very similar lengths.)

In "Victory Streak" Hobbes is listed as being in his late 20s. If this is not another typo/contradiction then that would have made him pretty mature being a Captain of a Fralthi in 2654, 15 years earlier. Hobbes comments on Flash to Eisen, saying that "youth and wisdom are rarely combined," so we can either establish the Kilrathi as far more proportionally mature or disregard the Victory Streak completely. BTW Vic Streak claims Flint's homeworld is Earth but in the game it's clearly Locanda 4...so maybe we shouldn't acknowledge it as a font of accurate knowledge.

Flint's homeworld is corrected in later printings.

(And this thread already talked about the Victory Streak age.)

Back