How many of us are in the Armed Forces?

Youngblood

Rear Admiral
After reading a few posts over the last few days I was wondering how many of us Wing Nuts are serving our country and if WC had anything to do with it?

After reading a few posts over the last few days I was wondering how many of us Wing Nuts are serving our country and if WC had anything to do with it?

I never served. I came really close to enlisting in the Air Force the summer after my junior year in high school, but I had asthma and allergies growing up, so I would have been disqualified from flight training, so I didn't bother. Plus, my left eye had 20/60 vision, so that also would have disqualified me.

I've had a love for aviation my entire life that I can remember. When other children wanted to be policemen and firemen, I wanted to be an Air Force pilot. Wing Commander was among the things that inspired me, but I had plenty of exposure to other simulator games, such as Aces of the Pacific and SWOTL.

Getting a pilot's license is still one of my life goals, though. Wing Commander still holds partial responsibility for that.

how many of us Wing Nuts are serving our country

Hopefully, by "our country" you mean the Confederation ;)

I do not serve in the Armed Forces, but I am a military historian who studies the US Navy during WWII (focus on naval aviation).

What role did WC play in that? Probably none...but my love of WC stems directly from my love of flattops. (The ships, not the haircut) And I probably wouldn't be here today if I didn't have such a passion for carriers.

Hopefully, by "our country" you mean the Confederation ;)

I do not serve in the Armed Forces, but I am a military historian who studies the US Navy during WWII (focus on naval aviation).

What role did WC play in that? Probably none...but my love of WC stems directly from my love of flattops. (The ships, not the haircut) And I probably wouldn't be here today if I didn't have such a passion for carriers.

I must admit I find that very intresting, you being a historian that explains the great write ups of yours I enjoy reading

No military service here; I lost an eye in high school and so would never have qualified. I have plenty of respect for those who have served, though, and I can certainly attest to there being a lot of men and women in uniform who are also Wing Commander fans.

I've been interested in military aviation for as long as I can remember, though, which eventually lead me to Wing Commander. (Heh, actually, I recently found a print out of my first ever post to the internet--a Compuserv note to an aviation group asking for information about German jets in World War II. I believe it's dated 1989, when I was eight years old. I guess I should scan that...)

No military service here; I lost an eye in high school and so would never have qualified. I have plenty of respect for those who have served, though, and I can certainly attest to there being a lot of men and women in uniform who are also Wing Commander fans.

I've been interested in military aviation for as long as I can remember, though, which eventually lead me to Wing Commander. (Heh, actually, I recently found a print out of my first ever post to the internet--a Compuserv note to an aviation group asking for information about German jets in World War II. I believe it's dated 1989, when I was eight years old. I guess I should scan that...)

Wow 1989 I didnt even get on the Internet till at least 1995 lol

I tried to serve...was accepted to Annapolis and then was disqualified on a medical technicality that I didn't even know I had until the "inspection injection neglection and see-lection" stage.

So instead, I got an advanced engineering degree and now design advanced weapons and other technologies for the Army and the Air Force (among other things).

I wouldn't say Wing Commander caused it...but the same traits in me that drew me to my career path probably also played a role in drawing me to Wing Commander as a kid.

It's been a while since I've posted anything here, but I check the site everyday (recent developments for WC are pretty exciting by the way).

I'm currently commissioned with the US Army (technically the Georgia Army National Guard, but we're still Army).

I've always wanted to serve, and WC did help me decide to try to get a commission with the Air Force. In the end though, I guess Army was always in my blood because I preferred being on the ground. Don't get me wrong. I would love to be a combat pilot, but being a combat engineer is what I want to be.

I have my application in with the Canadian Forces and am currently getting my upper body strength up before I go to Basic. I've applied to be a Supply Technician but when I graduated High School I had applied to be a pilot. Unfortunately my eyesight diminished so I wasn't able to go that route so I'm going Army instead. Might move on to Aircraft Mechanic later, I've always been good and building and fixing stuff.

I'm currently serving Active Duty in Germany flying Apache Longbows. I don't know how much Wing Commander had to do with me joining...I sure played it a lot. My dad actually is still flying Apaches in the Army as a CW5...that definitely had a lot to do with me joining. Love it. Nothing better than flying the worlds premiere attack helicopter in my book :)

Great thread - I've been curious at this myself. I'm currently with the Army Reserve as a commissioned officer and have been in the service in one capacity or another for almost ten years. Though I fly in the civilian world I'm MI in the service - that's a long story in and of itself. I absolutely think that I was drawn to WC for many of the same reasons that I was drawn to serve and WC only heightened my enthusiasm for service (and passion for WWII.)

My biggest challenge these days is balancing my reserve commitments with my job (day job is in advertising in NYC). I think life was easier on active duty!

Seems to be a few of us that serve so far I have been in the RAF for 10 years I joined when I was 17 and I love it When I was based down the Falkland islands on Tornado F3's everytime we had a scramble the tune from WC always used to play in my head :D

I'm currently a Midshipman 1/C in the United States Navy. I will graduate from Virginia Tech and commission as an Ensign this December, and then I will be stationed at my ROTC unit for a few months before I head to Flight School at NAS Pensacola.

I'm currently a Midshipman 1/C in the United States Navy. I will graduate from Virginia Tech and commission as an Ensign this December, and then I will be stationed at my ROTC unit for a few months before I head to Flight School at NAS Pensacola.

Best of luck! Any preferences on what type you qualify for?

I don't serve in the Army and honestly I wish to keep being a civillian. But I still think it's cool that many of you are in the Army. My highest respects and I wish you best of luck in your careers. :)

No military service here, although I have the biggest respect for those that do serve, especially in these modern stress-filled times.

I retired from the US Air Force in 2007 (joined in 1987). Since I signed up before Wing Commander came out, it would be very hard to say Wing Commander influenced my desire to serve. However, being of a technical and military mindset both influenced my wish to serve and my enjoyment of Wing Commander.

I retired from the US Air Force in 2007 (joined in 1987). Since I signed up before Wing Commander came out, it would be very hard to say Wing Commander influenced my desire to serve. However, being of a technical and military mindset both influenced my wish to serve and my enjoyment of Wing Commander.

So your military service influenced your love for Wing Commander? That's pretty awesome.

Hi Wingnuts , interesting thread . I used to be a "Katadromeas" -Καταδρομέας- the Greek special forces B Company.In my country you have to serve ,everybody serves from 12 months to 3 years , it depends .Once a year I have to report back and go to a training or something until they give me the precious White Paper (no more training).

Hi Wingnuts , interesting thread . I used to be a "Katadromeas" -Καταδρομέας- the Greek special forces B Company.In my country you have to serve ,everybody serves from 12 months to 3 years , it depends .Once a year I have to report back and go to a training or something until they give me the precious White Paper (no more training).

I didnt know That Greece still did this learn something new everyday! So how long did you serve for? 12 Months to 3 years seems like such a short time I spent almost 2 years in traning lol

Back