How jump/warp technology will work in WC: BGS? (due to FS2 engine)

Tolwyn

Vice Admiral
Just to make it clear: in FS2 it is not possible to create similar missions to Wing Commander, simlpy because FS2 engine doesn't support autopilot. Here is an explanation how missions will work...

"In simple terms, subspace is an n-dimensional tunnel between one point in the universe and another. A vessel can travel through this tunnel in a matter of minutes, making a journey that might otherwise take decades or even centuries at light speed.

A jump drive causes a ship to vibrate in multiple dimensions until its modulations are in perfect synchronization with the subspace continuum. A vortex opens, creating an aperture from an infinitesimally small point in the cosmos, enabling the vessel to cross the subspace threshold.

Two types of jumps are possible.

First, an intrasystem jump can occur between two points in a star system. Most small, space-faring vessels are equipped with motivators capable of these short jumps. The presence of an intense gravitational field is required, prohibiting travel beyond the boundaries of a star system.

Second, ships can jump from system to system via nodes. The Head-Up Display indicates the location of jump nodes with a green sphere.

The vast majority of subspace nodes are extremely unstable, forming and dissipating in nanoseconds. Other nodes have a longer lifespan, existing for centuries or millennia before collapsing. The jump nodes sanctioned by the Terran Confederation for interstellar travel are expected to remain stable for many years."

Originally posted by scheherazade
isnt the source code out for freespace2? just change the game to do what you want it to do.

-scheherazade

yes, it is, BUT... we do not have a coder, who is capable of doing such a thing :( That's the problem.

Originally posted by Tolwyn
yes, it is, BUT... we do not have a coder, who is capable of doing such a thing :( That's the problem.
Sounz like you need to put up a post wherein you advertise for such a person, no?...
(wish I could help ya, but programming ain't my thang... :( )

I know of a group who are planning on modding the freespace 2 engine to create a privateeresque game... I'll try to dig up a contact for you.

Originally posted by Darkmage
I know of a group who are planning on modding the freespace 2 engine to create a privateeresque game... I'll try to dig up a contact for you.

many thanks :D

Back