How good is 1.0?

Theseus

Spaceman
Newbie here, and again, SALUTE for the effort. This from a guy who has actually read the Wing Commander *books* (Fortschen and others) not once, but twice!!

I still dream of wandering the sector with my Stelteks!!

So... is 1.0 what I want? Or should I wait a bit? I'm a fairly well-known gamer, and I've done my share of betas... not to be a PITA, but on this one I'd rather start in knowing that it was dang good (a nostalgia thing, as I'm sure you'll respect).

Again, kudos to all who have put this together. :D

T

on the quality scale of 1-10, this game goes to 11. you have to get used to a new base interface and some ungodly good light fighter piloting.

check the bugs thread and see if anything there turns you off.

by the way, i and i'm sure several others here have read the novels to death. (literally, my copy of fleet action fell apart) ^_^

Theseus said:
So... is 1.0 what I want? Or should I wait a bit? I'm a fairly well-known gamer, and I've done my share of betas... not to be a PITA, but on this one I'd rather start in knowing that it was dang good (a nostalgia thing, as I'm sure you'll respect).

If you want to play a bugless balanced game in an authentic wing commander universe you should wait a bit...

well, let's not exaggerate. in all reality, the remake is probably a 7/10.
there are art-homogenity issues, little bugs, AI quirks, UI uncleanlinesses, missing-and-planned features, etc etc etc...

the game is playable, and feature-complete to the extent that nothing will stop your play experience. it's simply not as refined as it potentially could be.

this is a work in progress. so it's only gonna get better. If you play it now, it'll be just fine. for the most part it won't be as pretty as it could be, but that's not a show stopper.

-scheherazade

scheherazade said:
the game is playable, and feature-complete to the extent that nothing will stop your play experience.
Except for Oxford 3 ;-)

(for most ppl, anyway)

That said, it's probably a mainly personal matter. Ask yourself this: Is it possible for *anything* in the current version of the game to ruin your experience of the *next* version of the game?

For me personally, no matter how bad I happened to find the game, it would not affect my experience of the next version (for the worse, anyway). It's not like I don't know the story...

This release gave me the chance to revel in nostalgia and was *quite* enjoyable. I most certainly still look forward to an improved version, however, and if even a fraction of the bugs listed in the "Proper Remake" and "P:R Bugs" threads are dealt with, I'll enjoy the next version immensely as well!

(Check out some of the really awesome models in the modeling thread for an example of what work is going on).

scheherazade said:
well, oxford-3 is simply a hard mission. it's not impossible to beat.

-scheherazade

Is it still that hard in a Demon with gimbals and with a few wingmen? I'm curious, from the posts I've read.

Dire Wolf said:
Is it still that hard in a Demon with gimbals and with a few wingmen? I'm curious, from the posts I've read.
Some of us refuse to use these "cheats" (i.e. "not in the original"). Be that the Demon, autotracking or wingmen.

(I'm assuming you mean autotracking when you say "gimbal", which is simply the "joint" that allows the gun to move / rotate; all the turrets have gimbals).

fyodor said:
Some of us refuse to use these "cheats" (i.e. "not in the original"). Be that the Demon, autotracking or wingmen.

Not that it helps anyway. The Hunters just ignore you and corkscrew their way in and out. You can kill them, but Lord All Mighty does it take a long time! After I managed to stop the first wave without losing the Drayman (only to lose it to an unexpected second wave) I finally gave up and set the Drayman's armor to something approaching 100000 units on each side. I then spent about two hours trying to nail those &*#$ Hunters and their #$%# corkscrew maneuver. BTW, autotracking doesn't help against this sort of "flying". If anything, it makes things harder.

Back