How do you extremely practice WC games?

Chip

Spaceman
It's been proven that those who block their senses while practicing something (like WC game playing) can later play the same game without their senses blocked and are better since they've had more experience. I was wondering if anyone does this "extreme practicing", like wearing a blindfold, turning off audio speakers, reducing the effectiveness of controllers/keyboards , etc.

What would this prove Chip, other than one may have far too much time on his hands?:) Personally, if I play the game you can bet it's for whole whole game experience, not how much practice I've had with a simulation.

[Edited by Death's Head on 01-01-2001 at 18:48]

RE: To Death's Head

Extremely practing games gets you better at them like if you want to complete the games without the invincibility options and/or if you want to try your best against other players.

Eh!

Heh heh heh! Yes, I can imagine going blindfolded on one of those emergency scramble missions, or that WC3 mission where you have to stop those bioweapon missiles from reaching their target. That'd be... quite...... interesting!

being blindfolded in a spacefighter would be worse in RL,since theres no sound in space...

Try the scramble mission with the "drunken" controls, Chip. If you've won that mission, you've done something almost noteworthy.:)

[Edited by Death's Head on 01-01-2001 at 20:51]

Originally posted by Kain
being blindfolded in a spacefighter would be worse in RL,since theres no sound in space...
Not that sound is necessary in any of the games, and not like it could help you in the games if you didn't see anything.

Not that sound is necessary in any of the games, and not like it could help you in the games if you didn't see anything.
The sound is indeed irrelevant - I speak from experience, because I used to play WC 1 and 2 on a 386 without a sound card :).

The stuff Chip's talking about is insane. WC IS A GAME! You play for FUN. Playing blind & without sound's nuts. OK so you may not be able to hear things in space if this were real life but WC The GAME is NOT real life.

Originally posted by Quarto
The sound is indeed irrelevant - I speak from experience, because I used to play WC 1 and 2 on a 386 without a sound card :).
The first time I played through Priv (not RF though) it was without sound, since the damndest thing wouldn't work with my sound card. Took out a lot of fun from the game, but didn't make it any harder (those damn cokpits handled that quite nicelly though:)). And ever since my friend got rid of his old comp, it's back to "Silence of the Merchants" on my machine:-(.

Chip is nuts. Although you can play without most of the sounds in the game. You must be able to see what you are doing. This goes through in both real life and in the game universe of Wing Commander. The games places us in space where sound doesn't really exist. Your only clues to what's out there are what your eyes and ship senors can "see." Flying blind is almost as stupid as driving blind.

The first time I played through Priv (not RF though) it was without sound, since the damndest thing wouldn't work with my sound card. Took out a lot of fun from the game, but didn't make it any harder (those damn cokpits handled that quite nicelly though). And ever since my friend got rid of his old comp, it's back to "Silence of the Merchants" on my machine:-(.
Same here :(. With this blasted sound card, I can't get any sound in Armada... Priv is even worse - I get sound, but for some reason the game then slows down to roughly 1 frame per 5-10 seconds. Scary :(.

I can't remember right now... wait... it's coming back... no, it's gone. I just plain can't remember. That's the trouble with being several thousand miles away from your usual computer. We'll return to the matter of the sound card once I return Down Under.

<After 10 hours of trying to get this bloody computer to stop crashing every five minutes> The sooner the better, dammit. This damned beast that I'm using just had a major nervous breakdown or something. Eventually, we got it running ok by using WinMe's System Restore option (about bloody time it came in useful). The weird thing is, we never really figured out what the hell the problem was in the first place. Ah, well.

Anyway, I'll be going back on January 17th. That's still a while off, which is a good thing (provided this computer stops taunting me), because I need the spare time for UE.

Back