How did Mark Hamil get a guest starring as

Originally posted by LeHah
But Hamill continues to be the defining Joker due to both the quality of writing and how over-the-top he goes with it. Nay-sayers need to see the uncut "Batman Beyond: Return Of The Joker" to see how far they pushed the psychotic evil of The Clown Prince Of Crime.

There's a cut version?
Was it released cut on video? Or was that just a CN version, or something like that? Just curious. I have it on DVD. Fun flick. And Hamill does a great job with the voice.

Also amusing when I finally figured out who the grandmother (?) was at the end.
*chuckle*

Of the three voices, Nicholson is definitely the most menacing. There's lots of manic energy, but its very directed. You wouldn't find his Joker attempting to perform exagerated tip toes in order to slip away from Batman, for example. He's morbidly amusing, but more morbid than amusing.
Cesar Romero, of course, is lots of amusing, and no morbid. But that's primarily due to the nature of the TV series that he was in. He does silly tricks, and clowns around, but if he ever gasses anyone, its only knockout gas.
Hamill's animated Joker gets the best of both worlds. He can pull the old "bang-flag gun is really spear gun" gag in order to knock someone off, but at the same time, he can prance around, and look like he's enjoying himself. Watching Hamill's Joker try and restrain Harley Quinn after she learns he sold her out is a lot more entertaining than it would be watching the other two Jokers attempt to do the same thing.

There are two versions: The Cut (which is the more common) and the Uncut (which was released this summer.)

The differences are few but profound. Most of them are found during the flashback sequence. They show Robin being tortured, Batman hurling that knife at the Joker's head and the Joker's original fate as well.

Eh, bother.
I probably have the cut, then, seeing as how I bought it well over a year ago. It has the storyboard sequence for Bruce Wayne's visit to the hanging corpse, but I think that's about all it has with what happened to the Joker.
Its been a while since I watched it, though.

The uncut version is much more disturbing.

Some shots to look closely at in the Cut version:

1.) When Batman breaks out of his bonds to attack the Joker, the drapes behind the Joker have a tear in it. This is the hole left when Batman lobs the knife at him. Thats when the Joker laughs and goads him into the chase.

2.) Batgirl's attack on Harley Quinn is cut by a few punches. She beats the tar out of her, no question about it.

3.) The infamous home movie scene. Censors threw the book at this one, thought I think the Cut version is far more disturbed, as you only see Batman's reaction to what happens on screen.

What does he see? The Joker (wearing an apron - "Kill The Cook") taking a pair of jumper cables, attaching them to the gurny Robin is on and electrocuting him.

4.) When Batman says "I'll break you in two...", watch the Joker's hands. One hand distracts Batman. In the uncut version, the other pops a knife out which gets jammed into the Dark Knight's knee. Very painful to see.

Theres also bits and bobs (Batgirl talks to hookers!) but those are the few that surprised me.

All this in a WB Cartoon?

In Jay and Slient Bob Strike Back, when Hamil laughs, you can tell he's the Joker

Originally posted by TopGun
All this in a WB Cartoon?

Think of it more as a movie that's based on a WB Cartoon. The animation is the same, but they went ahead and blew a little more money on the opening. And the Batman shows are probably the darkest American animated TV shows you're likely to see. Just showing the victim's of the Joker's laughing gas is pretty dark for American cartoons.
There was also another scene that was supposed to show a 30-40 year old corpse hanging in an old abandoned building, but the scene was cut and only preserved as a storyboard extra on the DVD. There's no gore in the film, but that's about it.

Originally posted by junior
There was also another scene that was supposed to show a 30-40 year old corpse hanging in an old abandoned building, but the scene was cut and only preserved as a storyboard extra on the DVD.

Commentary reveals that it was cut due to pacing, though they curse themselves for not animating it beyond storyboard animatics. It is kept in the children's novelization though.

The UK also edits the heck out of film and television. It's against the rules to show either headbutting or kicking a man while he's down.

On one of the anime mailing lists I post to there is the usual griping and complaining about American censorship of anime on CN.
Then every now and again, someone brings up the British example, where iirc, they'll even censor animated DVDs and videos for private viewing, and the complaining subsides somewhat.

America has a lot more passive censorship system than the UK.

Batman Beyond is pretty freaking violent for a kids show. They've shown Batman dealing out headbutts, broken legs and some solid beatings.

"Batman Of The Future" makes it sound like some 1930s movie serial from Cuba. Like "Batman Vesus Billy The Kid"

Originally posted by LeHah
The UK also edits the heck out of film and television. It's against the rules to show either headbutting or kicking a man while he's down.

What media are you reffering to?

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Erm, he *told you* what kind of media he was referring to... it was in the part you *quoted*...

No, I was just wondering where he gets his facts from?

Originally posted by LeHah "Batman Of The Future" makes it sound like some 1930s movie serial from Cuba. Like "Batman Vesus Billy The Kid"
Makes me think of the Kitchen of the Future. When I get my own place, I'm going to make sure it has a big, chromed, self-cleaning kitchen with big, chromed, self-cleaning kitchen-robots.

Back