Home sweet cockpit

I'll be honest, the huge stuff worked in wc2 quite well, but, part of the appeal of WCP and SO, for me, was the unobtrusive gear/cockpit. Just my bias, I guess.

Well, anyway, it looks great. Really reminds me of WC2 which is what is should be. Keep up the good work.

Overmortal, we had a thread on cockpits a while ago, and over 70% of the voters (myself included) chose the *obtrusive* WC1-WC3 cockpits. It enhances the "reality", I think...

. . . I'm pretty sure that's a real word. I may be wrong though. On occasion, I unintentionally blend two or more words.

Indeed it is a real word, I just found it unusual :) I have a personal opinion about WC cockpits, I like flying with lots of VDUs around (Priv 1 style) it feels more like you´re playing a space ship simulator rather than just a shoot-the-cats game.

Just for the record, if the pro-non-obtrusive lobby had won that poll, I'd just fidel it up and make all struts so obtrusive it'd make the Tarsus' cockpit remind you all of clear sky days. :D

Very good work!

Hey Eder,

very good work! Excellent job. There's not much to improve - the crosshair looks great as it is!

The only point I have are (mentioned before in this thread) the small radar dots. The radar is quite big with big lines... so the small radar dots don't fit in...

... hey but that's definitley the only thing to improve!

I love this WC/WC2 look! GREAT JOB!!

Eder said:
I'm not sure why everyone is thinking that the gauges are too big... They're the same size relative to your screen's total size as the gauges in WCP/SO (or Standoff and UE when running in 640x480). They are only larger when compared to the text, but it was either that or the UE method of making everything too small compared to the screen's total size. Here are comparative screenshots, taken in both resolutions then resized to 320x240:

I like the lower of the two images more. Radar and crosshair look better and the left VDU is much bigger and looks far mor in sync to the size of the shield display.
That is how the game looks on 640x480, isn't it?

Yep. The crosshair and Radar look brighter in the first screenshot because the lines are thicker, since the texture resolution is higher... the crosshair and radar lines in 640x480 are about 2 pixels wide or so. Resizing the weapons indicator VDU for 800x600 and 1024x768 would need two extra bitmaps for each flyable ship... not worth the time it takes.

Anyway, I like the 640x480 look better, too, but there's a really simple explanation for that - WCP was never meant to run in any other resolution :p My point is that the enlarged 1024x768 displays serve a purpose - making the overall layout of screen be more or less the same in all resolutions, and that IMHO looks better than the way UE did it (which is the only other method I can think of), since in high-res UE you end up with gauges that look too small and empty space everywhere that doesn't tell you anything.

Yep, the small instruments on hi-res UE were a bit... non-informative. But it looked good on 640X480.

And yeah, people voted for the obtrusive cockpits, so they can't complain now. :)

Back