Holy crap

LadyDragon

Spaceman
These colors, especially the blue on gray links, are definitely not nice to an old lady's eyes.

HOWZIT GUYS?? :D

Yayyyy!

Most of you guys are probably too young to know who this is, but we probably wouldn't be here without her!

~~~ I don't know if I'd go that far, but I've missed you guys a ton! Its nice to see you're still around and still all friends. It really is heartwarming and I'm glad we stumbled across each other's paths again.

Oh my no, we all hate each other, we just stay together out of spite. :)

Nah, it's still a great community, I'm very glad to have all these friends. So much of it is based on my thinking your Ultima group was the coolest thing in the world all those years ago, though (like meeting at DragonCon each year, since I read about you guys hanging at at GenCon...).

Well you guys have lasted much, much longer than we did, that's for sure. :) Once UO came out, that was pretty much the end of it for us. We still have the WOO site up, sorta, and are probably going to try to turn it into some sort of tribute to the golden years kinda thing eventually. When we get the time to sit down and figure out what to do with it anyway. I'd hate to see all the fan art and fanfic get lost.

Hey, it won't let me set an avatar. Grrr...

I'll deny this if anyone ever asks, but I was always sort of glad we never got Privateer Online--it just wouldn't be the same.

Actually I get nostalgic for the early days of Ultima Online sometimes... but then all I'd ever do was stand around fishing for hours.

If you want some concentrated nostalgia, search our news archive for 'Point of Origin'... we scanned all of Origin's internal newsletters from the early 90s a year or so back. It's great reading about all the old gang and the company's culture back in the good old days. (I need to make an index of it all...)

Anyhow--let me know if there's anything we can do to help with WOO. Very glad to see it online at your new domain... it needs to be preserved forever for the Jason Bernard memorial alone.

Oh trust me, the Jason Bernard memorial will last in one form or another for as long as there's breath in my body. That's too important to let get lost in the ether.

I've mostly been playing World of Warcraft, obsessively, the last few years. Only I've taken a break from it for several months now. After hard core raiding for years, then having trouble with the last few guilds I was in, I sort of lost my passion for it. Got tired of the juveniles trying to out-ghetto each other during raids on Vent, with "nigga" this and "nigga" that. I'm way too old to put up with that crap. So I've been guildless and raidless for awhile.

Now with all the new changes, I'm embarrassed to say that I'm scared to start playing again, it'll be like starting from scratch when I didn't know anything. I've actually got a blog post about that in mind, when I get the time to start writing it. ~~~

I'm about as old as you are, LOAF.

Oh, there are folks here much older and much younger than me... but I think ace (and maybe Chris?) is the only other user who's old enough in Wing Commander internet years to remember the community in the mid '90s. :)

LadyWhisper ran Worlds of Origin way back when. You used to be able to go to WOO right from the front page of Origin's website. She was a big part of the Ultima community and she was always very kind to us Wing Commander kids--she'd bring Lord Ares or Origin PR over to our IRC group to meet us and chat and she'd include is in cool Origin stuff (anybody else still have a WC4 film strip?).

LadyWhisper ran Worlds of Origin way back when. You used to be able to go to WOO right from the front page of Origin's website. She was a big part of the Ultima community and she was always very kind to us Wing Commander kids--she'd bring Lord Ares or Origin PR over to our IRC group to meet us and chat and she'd include is in cool Origin stuff (anybody else still have a WC4 film strip?).

I did all that? :) I'd forgotten about the IRC chats and whatnot. We sure had fun back then, eh?

*bows before the great lady...*

Welcome :)

Great, now I feel really old. :p /totters off to look for her cane.

I did all that? :) I'd forgotten about the IRC chats and whatnot. We sure had fun back then, eh?

Hello LadyWhisper! It has been a long time since #w-c was the place to be for all things WC.

Those certainly were exciting times!

Welcome back!

Aww, that reads quite bittersweetly. Although I haven't been involved in things quite as much as you have or for nearly as long, I know something of the pain of losing something dear like that. :/

...but I think ace (and maybe Chris?) is the only other user who's old enough in Wing Commander internet years to remember the community in the mid '90s. :)
Oh, well, if we're talking Internet experience, I'm but a youth, probably only 10 years old.

Wedge, yeah, kinda sucks to see it destroyed. Glad they haven't done that with WC.

Heh, Lord of Ultima was actually competing with a browser-based Privateer for resources. I actually worked on it and am fairly glad it didn't happen.

Paul Barnett at Bioware Mythic is supposedly doing a 'real' Ultima after being similarly angered by LoU right now. He's a great guy but I don't know if it's possible to recapture that spark.

I think that time has passed, even if he could get the rights to it. We were more innocent back then, people have become too cynical, hard and hateful since then.

I agree about the cynicism--and there's probably no audience today. They do have the rights, though--EA owns Bioware now.

Back