History of wing commander

It's called Non Existent Situations, by John Graham of Made Up Books press.

Although the WC1/2 guide has a 'making of' section at the end (heck, several of the official guides do).

Chris Roberts isn't an artist, though. His creation of Wing Commander is basically saying "Lets make a Star Wars game where you fly a space ship!", not sketching out every intricate portion of the Wing Commander universe.

I assume he did a little more because "a Chris Robert's game" is written on my box ;). If he did not set the universe up and the write the storyline as I thought, what was his job consisting in ?

Game designers come up with exactly how a game works -- not the fictional story behind it. He's responsible for developing the idea of the 3D engine and the various interfaces and such.

btw, I never knew Chris was a mancunian (Manchester man) perhaps i could find something about his history here, if you'd like

I'd also heard that after he was working (and then stepped back to let his brother? finish) Starlancer, he started working on Freelancer, then again, stepped back to let Digital Anvil just keep making it without his heavy involvement. (I think he labeled himself an "advisor") But I can't be sure about this. Anybody able to back any of this up, or have I just been in my own little fantasy world for THAT long! :D

I believe you're right Skyfire. I think that the last game he was fully involved with (for various reasons) to the end was WCP.

LOAF: Do you have any info on the movie or TV series?

If I remember well, his brother worked on WC1 (and maybe the laters as well). Are they still working together ?

BTW, you all convinced me to buy some WC novels on amazon and I am finishing my first one (Freedom Flight). I am not disapointed at all ! :D

Back