Hex Editing SO EXE

Jason_Ryock

Vice Admiral
So...if I'm right about this (And I might be way off base) it looks like you set all your missions to call on UE tre files that had the ships/comms etc etc in them, so that these files would be able to coexist with SO.

At the same time you must have taken the SO EXE, or made an entirely new one, and either edited the new one, or the original SO exe and changed it to load your series file for the missions, thereby avoiding the need to have to overwrite the original SO EXE.

1) This would mean that the series file is called up by the EXE for SO, am I right or wrong about this point?

2) If one was to extract all the UE TRE files, they would install into a seperate directory other then the default for SO TREs (IE: UE Ship files would be in one SHIPS folder and SO ship files would be in a seperate SHIPS folder). Is this right or wrong?

Jason_Ryock said:
1) This would mean that the series file is called up by the EXE for SO, am I right or wrong about this point?
Yup, that's corrected. UE and Standoff use edited versions of SO's .exe file that call for the correct series file, simulator ships, rescue/capture scene ships, savegame files, and savegame folders for each game.

Jason_Ryock said:
2) If one was to extract all the UE TRE files, they would install into a seperate directory other then the default for SO TREs (IE: UE Ship files would be in one SHIPS folder and SO ship files would be in a seperate SHIPS folder). Is this right or wrong?
If you just use Treman to extract all the files from both the UE ships file and SO's data.tre while they are both in the same folder, they will both extract to the same "ships" subfolder. UE's TREs need to have the same folders as SO's, or else the game won't find the files.

What the game does is open up all of the TREs it was told to open up, and then look for ships in the \ships folder of each of these TREs, missions in the \mission folder of each of these TREs, textures in the \mat folder of each of these TREs, and etc. UE doesn't tell the engine to look in \ueships or anything like that.

Jason_Ryock said:
This is exactly why I gave up on writing tutorials. Because nobody ever reads them :(.

Back