HELP!

Quarto said:
BTW, when you say WC2-WCSO, surely you meant to say WC2 and WCSO? Otherwise, I'd have to wonder how you could say something so silly
smile.gif
Silly? Does WC3/4 and Prophecy have bars when you can go between every mission, not just in some cutscenes, and always talk to someone?

Second, of course I know he means characters. Though I don't know why would he say bar instead of character development...
Most interaction doesn't take place in a bar in the later games.

[This message has been edited by Earthworm (edited May 06, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Hero said:
"They"
wink.gif
also said Prophecy would be the begining of a new WC trilogy and that it'll have MP options.
And they also said that Prophecy won't have MP months before the game coumt out, and Prophecy was never offcialy the begining of a tirlogy. If it was than POL was also offcialy anounced when some of OSI employes said they're working on it.

Earthworm said:
Originally posted by Quarto:
BTW, when you say WC2-WCSO, surely you meant to say WC2 and WCSO? Otherwise, I'd have to wonder how you could say something so silly
smile.gif
Silly? Does WC3/4 and Prophecy have bars when you can go between every mission, not just in some cutscenes, and always talk to someone?

Second, of course I know he means characters. Though I don't know why would he say bar instead of character development...
Most interaction doesn't take place in a bar in the later games.

First I am Italian and my english is limited
smile.gif

Maybe I havent beed clear explaining my point...what I meant is some feature that permits u to interact with the other pilots.

A bar, a room, in the briefing room before briefing...the barrakcs...ANYTHING!!! LOL!!

Second...yes...WC3 and 4 had a bar where u could meet ppl.
Not only the bar...they had a lot of places where u could meet your fellow pilots and other crew of the base ship.

Earthworm said:
Originally posted by Hero:
"They"
wink.gif
also said Prophecy would be the begining of a new WC trilogy and that it'll have MP options.
And they also said that Prophecy won't have MP months before the game coumt out, and Prophecy was never offcialy the begining of a tirlogy. If it was than POL was also offcialy anounced when some of OSI employes said they're working on it.

HEY...I've already replied to this thing...read below please...LOL!!!
smile.gif

Enoxigeo said:
Well...the only problem is that Starlancer IS a clone of WC...but it hasnt got one of the MOST IMPORTANT FEATURES.

Well, I haven't played Starlancer yet (4 more days!), so I really can't tell you if it's a WC clone. As a matter of fact, it's kinda hard for me to imagin it as a WC clone: The settings is different, and the only thing which might be the same is the game play. I base this on things I heard, so I can't be sure for myself. However, I will be sure when I'll play it, and then we'll see
smile.gif

I must wonder if Freelancer's gonna be this way (haven't heard much about Freelancer, only that it happens a few years after Starlancer, and that there are 4(?) houses which fight one another), not having characters in it.

if theres one reason i sometimes prefer games like starlancer and freespace 2 its the cooperative play, lets pray origin sees sense and makes wing commander online.

All of those games had a bar. Just because there wasn't a cut scene in there every mission doesn't invalidate the existence of the bar. And that was what you originally said. I quote:
WC2-WCSO didn’t have bars where you could go any time you wanted to, and those game certainly didn’t suck.
Now then. Did they have a bar? Yes. Could you go there any time you wanted to? Yes. Was your statement, therefore, silly? Yes, a thousand times, yes!

Enoxigeo said:
Second...yes...WC3 and 4 had a bar where u could meet ppl.
Not only the bar...they had a lot of places where u could meet your fellow pilots and other crew of the base ship.
No, those games had people that you would ocasionaly meet in a bar.
smile.gif
Seriously, you talked about a bar as a place where you can go and talk whenever you want to, only WC1 and Priv had something like that.

Hero said:
I must wonder if Freelancer's gonna be this way (haven't heard much about Freelancer, only that it happens a few years after Starlancer, and that there are 4(?) houses which fight one another), not having characters in it.
FL is set about 800 years after SL....
smile.gif
It's more of a Privateer type game, and those houses don't exactly fight each other, each of them's just trying to make some change.

Quarto said:
All of those games had a bar. Just because there wasn't a cut scene in there every mission doesn't invalidate the existence of the bar.
But not a bar where things happend all the time, just ocasionaly. You can't walk into the bar in WC3 between every mission and expect to talk to someone there.

Now then. Did they have a bar? Yes. Could you go there any time you wanted to? Yes.
Um, I never said they didn't have a bar, but they didn't have a bar where you can go and talk to anyone all the time, like you could in WC1 where 99% of a time someone was there. And from what Enoxigeo originally said it seemed that's the kind of bar he meant.

Was your statement, therefore, silly? Yes, a thousand times, yes!
No! A trilion times no!

NO!!!...I didnt mean I wanted A BAR!!! LOL!!!
I MEAN ANY KIND OF PLACE OR SITUATION!!!

Maybe in WC3 and 4 u could NOT ALWAYS find someone in the DAMN BAR...but u were ALMOST EVERY TIME able to find someone to speak to in some damned part of the damned ship!!!

THATS WHAT I MEANT!!!
smile.gif

Finidng ppl around, talking to them, hearing their fears, their stories, what they were thinking of the missions...and any other kind of stuff made me feel like they were friends, ppl for whom I cared a lot.

When Vagabond gets killed in WC4 is an epic scene. It almost makes u cry.
Do u remember?
Before that mission he is in the BAR (YES!!!
biggrin.gif
) and he plays cards with Maniac...and he loses!!
THATS THE FIRST TIME HE LOOSES AT CARDS!!!
And thats the prelude of his incoming death...

NOW...THIS IS A PIECE OF ART.
That is what I meant when I said Starlancer will NEVER EVER be able to TRY to be as good as WC!!!

U dont get involved in the story as much as in WC...no characters development...no interaction...no involvement.

There is not even so many occasion to tell the development of the storyline.
YEAH...in Starlancer u have the news thing...that lady telling u the news on TV...but..cant u see any difference?

U get involved in Starlancer too...thats true...but not as much as in WC.
Nobody can disagree...I think
smile.gif

(and hope)

[This message has been edited by Enoxigeo (edited May 06, 2000).]

Earthworm said:
But not a bar where things happend all the time, just ocasionaly. You can't walk into the bar in WC3 between every mission and expect to talk to someone there.

Sure, but in WC3 you could go to other places besides the bar and there was always someone to talk to
smile.gif

Enoxigeo said:
You did say you wanted a bar though, not more character development and interaction.
biggrin.gif
And there's no need to post in caps.
smile.gif

Earthworm said:
Originally posted by Enoxigeo:
You did say you wanted a bar though, not more character development and interaction.
biggrin.gif
And there's no need to post in caps.
smile.gif

LOL..ok...I said it...but I have tried to explain u that I am Italian...english is not my language...if I could only speak italian I would explain what I mean quite better
smile.gif

So..please...now everybody go and learn ITALIAN so that I can explain what I mean LOL!!!
smile.gif

And...I had used caps because what y all have said made ma a bit upset..LOL!!!
biggrin.gif

Enoxigeo said:
And...I had used caps because what y all have said made ma a bit upset..LOL!!!
biggrin.gif
He he, I'm sorry for upseting you then.
smile.gif
I did push this subject a little to far.

Earthworm said:
He he, I'm sorry for upseting you then.
smile.gif
I did push this subject a little to far.

Dont worry...its OK..
smile.gif

U didnt do anything wrong, I am enjoying exchanging poits of views with ppl
wink.gif

Anyway...

Starlancer is lacking any interaction with other people, and I have no clue why. People can whine about budget all they want, but some CGI cutscenes couldn't have been too expensive.

I think the whole thing was sort of rushed out the door, unfinished, by Microsoft, to meet the release date. I'm stuck on mission five either because of an error in the mission scripting or because of the fact that it's possibile for an enemy to get out of my radar range and still be there, so I can't kill it to progress. Neither of these things could happen in a game that was really DONE. I think they waited on the CGI/FMV until they had all the missions done, but that took too long, so Micro$oft cut it out of the game.

Jumper said:
Starlancer is lacking any interaction with other people, and I have no clue why. People can whine about budget all they want, but some CGI cutscenes couldn't have been too expensive.
Of course they could. A short CGI scene can cost up to a million $ (obviously in movies though, not a game), nevertheless, the budget would be the biggest isue.

because of the fact that it's possibile for an enemy to get out of my radar range and still be there, so I can't kill it to progress.
Yup, that's what happens. All you have to do is target McGhann, or whatever the name is of the Cobra leader, and fly towards him, you should soon see some enemy ships apear. Not hard at all.
Neither of these things could happen in a game that was really DONE.
Why not? Something similar happened to me on several ocasions in WC4 (though there you could autopilot back to the carrier).
I think they waited on the CGI/FMV until they had all the missions done, but that took too long, so Micro$oft cut it out of the game.
Well yeah, that would be the idea. What good would it do if they made cutscenes worth millions, and than have to scrap the whole game? Though they already had some cutscenes done. They reused a lot of stuff from the WC movie.

Jumper said:
Anyway...
I think they waited on the CGI/FMV until they had all the missions done, but that took too long, so Micro$oft cut it out of the game.

YES...this may be an answer to my question.
Also because if u look at the rooms in the ship..there are things that look very well made, as if there was a plan to use them and then it has been dropped.
(the stairs, the way to the briefing room...hmmmm...)

Back