Help setting up speakers!

Karthik@KANE

Spaceman
Okay I'm sure you've seen speakers(4.1) that connect to the subwoofer and the wire to the soundcard is only 1 green wire unlike other speaker set out there which use 2 wires or 3 wires for 5.1 settings.
Problem is I'm getting front sound from the rear speakers as well but no rear sound at all. Is there any way to fix this problem?

Okay, you still don't understand my speaker settings? Well this should help:
speakers.gif

Edit: spelling error for "souncard" it's "soundcard"!

Say, remember how in older games you always had to pick your sound card. Like Sound Plaster Pro. Or like, Adlib. Classic.

Erm, really dumb answer, but the green wire that you've split into two and plugged into 'input 1' - have you tried swapping those two wires around?
(I'm just ignoring the R and L markings on the picture for the moment)

Sorry, but that's as far as my knowledge on sound systems go!

Percy said:
Erm, really dumb answer, but the green wire that you've split into two and plugged into 'input 1' - have you tried swapping those two wires around?
(I'm just ignoring the R and L markings on the picture for the moment)

Sorry, but that's as far as my knowledge on sound systems go!
Yeap! Still no difference!

Let me get this right: You have a Input 1 and a Input 2. You have a Front (L and R) and a Rear (L and R). You only connect Input 1 to your PC. Now you wonder why you only have stereo? Ever occured to you that in order to get more then 2.1 you absolutely NEED more then one connection (except you are using digital signals). So I'd say to 99% you need to connect a second cable to Input 2 and connect that to the rear connector of your soundcard

cff said:
Let me get this right: You have a Input 1 and a Input 2. You have a Front (L and R) and a Rear (L and R). You only connect Input 1 to your PC. Now you wonder why you only have stereo? Ever occured to you that in order to get more then 2.1 you absolutely NEED more then one connection (except you are using digital signals). So I'd say to 99% you need to connect a second cable to Input 2 and connect that to the rear connector of your soundcard
I already did, and it didn't make any dicking difference!

Are you sure Windows is configured to use 4 speakers? There should be an output setting somewhere where you choose between headphones / two speakers / four speakers / etc.

It's under Control panel > Sounds and Audio devices. There is an Advanced button on the first tab under speaker setup.

On the danger of sounding stupid - but did you actually try some software that is designed for 4.1 output? Like playing a DVD? Unless you have a dolby surround decoder in that system it is normal that the back speakers won't work properly for music or most games.

I'd still bet that it is a software issue then. My advice right now would be to try the following (get a pair of cheap active stereo speakers)
a) try to plug them into the front out of your soundcard (but keep the card in 4.1 mode), nothing in the rear out.
b) try to plug them into the rear out of your soundcard (but keep the card in 4.1 mode), nothing in the front out.
c) try to plug them into the front out of your soundcard (but keep the card in 2.1 mode), nothing in the rear out.
The test each of the settings with the test software. That way we should at least known if it is the PC or the speakers that are responsible for the trouble.

Back