Help on a Universe?

Terra2111

Spaceman
I know rule 6

6) Talking about other subjects, even other space combat games, that are not directly related to WC is not the best idea. Proceed with caution.

But I really need help, I am currently trying to figure out a realistic universe where humanity has begun its colonisation of the galaxies and has colonised the moon and mars with permanent civilian populations and has also set up research posts and such on or in orbit of other planets i.e. Mercury(important for one of the stories) but I notice many people make sci-fi universe yet they have mistakes and things that don't make sense, I want to create a realistic universe, well as realistic as possible, one of my friends suggested here, and so I come to your help and ask for your help to design realistic technologies that may possible work.

The low down

The Earth firstly colonised the moon, I have thought of the glass bubble idea, and am curious would an artificial atmosphere be possible to be created on the moon, and if so how? would it allow us to Terraform the moon? Another part is multiple large towers reaching up into space connected with structures connecting the multiple towers where space ships can be launched with ease, is this possible? and how would it be set about? Another thing is small fighters with almost atmospheric manuverability in space, using maybe a venting system for the thrusters? how feasible is this? Also there are colonies on Mars that are open like earth and people can breath the atmosphere, I was thinking atmospheric converters which would remove the carbon dioxide and other harmful gases and replaces them with that of the earths atmosphere converting it to a breathable atmosphere for the civilians? is this feasible? All help will be greatly appreciated.

One possible place to check for ideas may be the Jovian Chronicles RPG. True, it is a game, and it does have giant robots, but it generally tries to incorporate hard science into the setting (as much as the giant robots will allow, at any rate). Take a look at the setting to see one possible future.
As for your second post...

Lunar atmosphere would be a long, long way off since there's nothing to work with at present. Terraforming Mars might be possible after a century or two (random guess, don't quote me on that) of work, but you'd still probably need something over your mouth to keep from freezing the inside of your lungs. In short, moving around on the surface would be a little easier, but still a pain.
Towers in space - You're basically talking about Orbital Elevators, which could be theoretically built. Something similar would be a skyhook, although the latter, which maintains geosynchronos orbit, does not reach the ground. Both types of systems would be used to move goods and people into high orbit stations, where they could be met by non-atmospheric craft.
Orbital Elevators do have one significant problem, however. For an example of this, look, once again, to Jovian Chronicles, and the 'Vator Crater' on Mars (terrorists blew up the Martian Orbital Elevator, creating a miles long canyon where it landed).

As for your fighters, I'm not quite certain as to what you are describing. At any rate, chances are that the only feasible movement in space (without some highly theoretical drive system) is as represented in the game 'Independence War'.

3001 did a nice job describing orbital elevators. There were problems with some of the things in the story and unlike 2001 and 2010 (which are both interesting reads) the science started to get strecthed more than usual. All three might be good if you want to look at some more science fiction that is more strongly grounded in science.

Originally posted by Terra2111

But I really need help, I am currently trying to figure out a realistic universe where humanity has begun its colonisation of the galaxies and has colonised the moon and mars with permanent civilian populations and has also set up research posts and such on or in orbit of other planets i.e. Mercury(important for one of the stories)

moon and mars are the logical first places to go and as for being permanent peaple get a tached to a place. like my grandfather was the first on mars i will not move example.;)

Originally posted by junior
One possible place to check for ideas may be the Jovian Chronicles RPG. True, it is a game, and it does have giant robots, but it generally tries to incorporate hard science into the setting (as much as the giant robots will allow, at any rate). Take a look at the setting to see one possible future.

tha's true Jovian Chronicles, Tribes * and Heavy Gear have tried to make thinks the must realistic posible, I think you shoud give them a try

http://www.dp9.com

If you've played VOR, you'll know where this is from ;)

Earth is sucked into a massive vortex into some other strange dimension in the fairly near future (say, 100 or 150 years.)

Earth is then shattered as this dimensional shift destroys much of the ecosystem, and two countries fight with each other. One is the good guys (US, UN, Nato, GDI, Whoever) and the other is the stereotypical evil guys (Soviets, Nod, Terrorists, China, etc.)

Then, have them exploring small nearby planetoids and being attacked by all kinds of aliens. Even have earth get hit, etc...

You are talking about colonizing not only our galaxy but other galaxies, that is a LONG way off. By then, you should be able to disregard the current thoughts of futurists and theoretical technologies.

For instance, by then space elevators will be long gone. We'll likely have them within 50 to 100 years, seeing as there is a NASA report saying one could be built with current technology and $40 billion dollars. http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=01/12/19/056214&mode=thread

I wouldn't worry about what currently seems possible unless you are keeping it within 150 years of the present. And in that time I don't see us colonizing much, a handful of nearby star systems at best.

Back