help getting Privateer working?

steampunk

Spaceman
I installed Priv and when I run from Windows through a DOS window I get:
"Protected mode driver is not responding to EMS function calls. Make sure your EMS driver is not configured with the NOEMS option. If it is, replace the option "NOEMS" with "RAM"."

I checked my config.sys and it says "RAM". I'm stumped.

And when I reboot through DOS I get the "not enough free EMS" error.

My config.sys

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 2048
DOS=HIGH
DOS=UMB
FILES=50
BUFFERS=50
LASTDRIVE=K
DEVICE=C:\CDPRO\VIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001
device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Autoexec.bat:

@PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;%PATH%
SET SOUND=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AWE64
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 E620 T6
PROMPT $P$G
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;C:\TEXMF\MIKTEX\BIN;C:\PROGRA~1\WIN98RK;C:\JAVA\BIN
SET CLASSPATH=C:\JAVA\BIN\MOCHA.ZIP;C:\JAVA\BIN\SR.ZIP;C:\JAVA\ASS2\SJ.ZIP;C:\JAVA\ASS2\;
rem - By Windows Setup - C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V
mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850

Dosstart.bat:

C:\WINDOWS\CTCM
c:\logitech\mouse\mouse.exe
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V

Funny, I don't seem to have a file or directory named CTCM.

>DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 2048

There's a big part of your problem right there. Privateer requires a minimum of 2.5MB of EMS memory to work, and works better with more. Try something like

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384

which gives you 16MB of EMS memory (assuming you have 16MB of memory or more anyhow). Absolute minimum would be

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 2560

which is 2.5MB, measured in KB.

Really, though, unless your system has more than 32MB of memory, you don't need to put in any limitations to run Privateer. (32MB or more of EMS memory makes the sound effects screwed up, for a reason I either don't remember or never found out.)

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

Last edited by a moderator:
JUst to mention this.. It should have been put in the Tech Support forum...

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ
"Canadian and proud of it"-TC

Yeah I would think this fits in much better there, besides some people who would help you don't always check posts out here so much.

The sound screws up if Priv gets more than 16mb of memory to work with, Death. Thus, 16384 should be the absolute maximum.

16MB may be the upper limit on EMS memory for the SB Live!, but for the Vibra16 (tweaked SB16 to fix a compatability problem with some Pentiums) and AWE<whatever>, it only has to be below 32. Right now I've got my Priv and RF shortcuts set up to give the games 24MB of EMS memory (out of 128MB total), and they work just fine with my AWE64 (and the Vibra16 I had previously).

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited February 06, 2000).]

Thanks Death
smile.gif
I'll give it a shot.

I guess I should have put it in the Tech Support forum ... Force of habit to post things here I guess, I've never checked any of the other forums before. I have the main page set as home on NN and I always come here first before doing anything else
smile.gif
I'll remember to go to the Tech Support next time
smile.gif

Death's suggestion helped a bit. But now I get a new error.
"Not enough DOS memory"
And I posted the new error at the Tech Sup forum and I get no replies after a day
frown.gif

There are only 2 or 3 people that respond intellegently to the tech support questions. You have to wait a day or two but you get good answers. (I posted my suggestion)

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Well, I don't know about single-HDD users, but my solution was excellent.
I used my second HDD as a the Privateer CD! I copied the tre over from the CD to my hard drive, then edited priv.cfg (I think it was priv.tre) so Privateer would find the tre on my hard drive. Runs better, and I could take out my CD-ROM drivers. I run it on my 486 with 620kbs of conventional memory, the highest I've ever got it. Grimloc out.

Grimloc: It's just as easy to do that on one hard drive. You just copy the CD files to the HDD and change the two configuration files to point to the appropriate directory.

TC

------------------
CAG of the Blacklance HQ

Excellent! Now everyone can experience Privateer like I do. No annoying CD Read sounds!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"We're going to the same freakin' jail cell anyway."

Back