HC1's SO patches

Well, you must have made a mistake somewhere, because had you done it right, the game would be using the files you modified. Did you replace the old data.tre with your new file, or did you maybe create a tre file with a different name, hoping (in vain) that the game would detect it?

hmmmm..... for some reason my new data.tre is twice as large at the orginal and it is supposed to be a new tre. I am confused--and yes I did replace the data.tre(with a data2 folder with all the orginal data files in it) and only adjusted the and added new strings into the targetid.

Hold on, hold on... you built a new data.tre that includes all the data as well as a data2 folder containing all the original files, and you're surprised that this new data.tre is twice the size of the original?

Another question - why are you trying to add these to data.tre in the first place? With a vanilla SO install, it's enough to place the files in the appropriate folder, and the game will automatically use them instead of the TRE file (so, if you've tried this, and it doesn't work, then you're doing something wrong - either the files are in the wrong place or have the wrong names). And if you're using UE, then you can either alter ue_tre.cfg to allow the game to use folder files (in which case, see above), or build a TRE file containing only the files you changed, and add this file at the very bottom of ue_tre.cfg (before 'end', of course), so that the game reads it last.

NO! *slaps head "why am I so bad at explaining things"*

I am creating a new data.tre and in it I am only putting in a folder called data2 in which this folder has all the orginal files with the exception that the targetid has more strings. What I don't get is why the data2 folder--the folder I am putting in a new tre file--is twice the size of the orginal data.tre I extracted the files out of.

And no, there isn't a data.tre within the data2 folder--I checked that.

Plus, for some odd reason, anytime I create a new data.tre it automatically replaces the old one without prompt--meaning that I have to create an empty folder and stuff all the files I want in that and then have that big folder be what is put into the new tre file. I wish it was as simple as just adding files instead of doing it this way--more possibility for error of putting in a folder I do not want.

Well, I just went back and took out the other data.tre--the orginal with which I had changed the name--to make sure that it doesn't get confused. It gives me this error: "SpaceObject::getDisplayedVDUId (*classified string that I know I added*) bogus target id 254". I might try creating a another tre, being extra careful not to have any mix ups and checking every folder and everything, tommorrow. Maybe I goofed somewhere.

Yeah, but does it work if you *don't* build the new TRE? Just stick your files in a directory within your SO directory that's the same as the directory it would be in as an extracted TRE. SO's configured to read the directories last, after the TREs, so it'll take anything that's in them, instead of actual TRE contents. It's what made SO actually usefully modable before HCl went and made his TRE builder. Prophecy, on the other hand, doesn't do this.

Try this before breaking your brain trying to figure out if you're building the TRE right. It's stupid to be wasting your time doing that if you just edited the files wrong.

??

Interesting. I didn't know that.

Probably should of written that in the "how to create you own wing commander mod" article--or whatever it was called.

*slaps head* Now I am just confused. There is no data.tre in my SO folder, and the game plays fine and then the same error. I have also checked for any extra targetids and pasted over them and still no go--even changed the .pas file as well.

Hmm... can't be bothered too much trying to think of what the problem could be here, but one thing that comes to mind is that, if you added your targetid at the end of the .eng file without incrementing the number at the top of the file (which tells the game how many lines there are in the .eng), the game would probably complain... so, that's one thing to check.

WHHHHHAAAAAAA???????

Why, I didn't know. *I fly off the cliff into the pit of death"ahahahahaaahhhhh!!!"*
FORM "DATA"
{
FORM "LANG"
{
CHUNK "INFO"
{
cstring "English"
long 1
long 0
cstring "TargetIds"
long 1
long 260
}
CHUNK "TEXT"
{
// offset: 42
// size: 992
file "C:\DOCUME~1\Phillip\LOCALS~1\Temp\_TEXT_42"
}
}
}
}
The string editor seems to automaticly increase the total number of strings. It adds a new string called "string 258" which is considered -string 259- by the editor with the first string in the file known as -string 0-. This also makes since to this pascal representation of that targetid file with the long being 260 (0-259 being 260 total strings).
Only thing that I find unusual is that the added strings have a number less than its actually string number.

I am aggrevated, though, by the fact that this whole thing is not working.
SOMETHING IS CONFUSING THIS DUMB GAME :mad: ...and I want to know what it is. :confused:

Just kidding about the angry part of the last post :D

Okay, fine,
:( you didn't find it amusing. :(

:p

okay, I'll quit :rolleyes:

Yes, well, it is ok to have less strings in the file than the header info would indicate (as long, of course, as you don't try to use the non-existent strings :p).

Anyway, keep looking, you'll probably work it out eventually :p. Standard bug-fixing procedure would be to gradually roll back the changes you made until the game starts working - when it does, you'll know which change caused the problem. And working out the problem is the hard part... afterwards, it's all easy.

Back