Having Trouble Getting Started (music, no gfx)

addams013

Spaceman
First of all, thank you all for putting in such hard work to get this thing off the ground! I can hardly wait to start playing!

Unfortunately, after I installed Privateer Remake 1.0 and configured the settings to the simplest I could, running the program didn't produce anything. The windows background would resize to the lower resolution, and music would start, but that's it. I let it sit there for 20 minutes to see if it might be a "graphics take a while to load" problem (per one of the stickies here), but no joy.

I'm running Windows XP on a 2.4 GHz Pentium 4 with 768 MB of RAM. Here are my settings:
* 640 Mb RAM
* Vertex Arrays
* Medium Game Play
* Sound & Music
* Blurry Bases
* Retro Detail
* No Specular Lighting
* 16-bit Fullscreen
* No Mouse
* Times
* 2 Axis Joystick

Has anyone seen this problem before? Does anyone have suggestions? I'm eager to get flying! Thanks in advance!

People have been sayin

its yo firewall popping up a window that steals focus
try turning off the firewall or running in windowed mode

Running in windowed mode works. I tried setting pierce_firewall in the audio section of vegatrike.config to true, but it didn't work in fullscreen. I could ALT-TAB between a lower resolution Windows (which was labelled as the running Vegastrike) and a higher-resolution Windows (the regular Windows desktop), but no game info would show up at the lower resolution -- it was as if I had simply changed my desktop resolution and set the Privateer music to play in the background. If we can't get this to work, I suppose I can live in windowed mode.

My video card is a 64 Mb NVIDIA GeForce4 MX420.

Or you could change your firewall rules to allow connections from your own computer (or just unblick vegastrike.exe and soundserver.exe)

Odlly, removing the firewall entirely (just as an experiment) made it work one at fullscreen, but only the one time; subsequent attempts went back to the old problem.

The problem still persists if I make the game resolution equal to the desktop resolution. I'll have to see if I can find these "66 series" drivers that hellcatv wrote about.

Thanks again for your time.

I got the latest drivers from NVIDIA and installed them. No problems whatsoever with fullscreen mode now.

I apologize for taking up your time. Getting new drivers should have been a standard test for functionality. Thank you for your help in this matter.

Back