Has anyone ever "coattail" jumped?

Starblazer

Spaceman
Greetings All:

This was an unexpected happening.....

Went out to beat up a baddie near a jumphole, the baddie goes to jump, I rush to get them before they jump (not wanting to miss them), I get real close, they jump and the next thing I know when the blinding flash clears the sky is no longer black, but red and I am in the next system! I didn't touch the "J" key, I swear!! (g)

I check my map and sure enough, I am in a different system! Sorry, I don't remember which system it was, I was in Troy I think I jumped to one of the ones' that started with a "P" (Pendar's Star?) It didn't have much in it, so I killed the bum and jumped back.

That was strange, this happen to anyone else?

Have Fun!

Starblazer

yes, i think i was doing one of the missions and went out to catch the ship b4 he jumped and then he started to jump so i followed and got dragged along with him into the next system, which i wasnt expecting either. So there was a brief second where i wondered what had happened, got my bearings and then blew the ship up and went on about my business. I guess it is possible, just wish i could do it more often as to save on jump fuel!

Well, I guess you get to name a maneuver :D

I remember in some story some guy in a non-jump-capable fighter did this with a capship to go through a jump point...

What would have been really cool is if you ended up on the other side in a weird amalgamation of your two ships - like a space-version of Jeff Goldblum out of 'The Fly'

Greetings All,

I guess for lack of a better name if everybody wants we can call it the "Coattail Maneuver". ;>

As for the ships joining, that might have been really interesting!!

Starblazer

The only thing I can imagine is that somehow your repair droid fiddled with your nav computer such that you followed the first guy... I couldn't imagine this happening very often... perhaps one in every 100 players

don't hold your breath--this is not anything the developers have seen--- so it might take years to reproduce lol

hehe well no one will make you spend years trying if you don't find it. Might as well try it a couple times and see what happens.

Back