Happy New Year! (January 1, 2010)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator
Happy New Year to Wingnuts everywhere! By now most time zones have reached 2010, and what an exciting milestone that is. By some counts, this puts the CIC into its third operating decade (the 1990s, the 2000s and now the 2010s). When the CIC staff started reporting Wing Commander news in the mid '90s, the 21st Century was far away and well out of mind. In 2001, we paid off the wcnews.com domain through 2010, which seemed unimaginably far off then, and now it's here!

Each year we continue to be impressed by the continued dedication of Wing Commander fans around the world. Every day some two thousand fans still visit the site, and hundreds of Wingnuts still actively participate in fan projects, forum discussions and more. You all provide the material that goes into our daily front page updates, and we are fast-approaching our 10,000th news post. Each one represents an hour or two of our time, but they often share dozens or hundreds of hours of yours.

It's this constant dedication that proves there is support for more Wing Commander products, and recent releases like Wing Commander 4 on the Playstation Network wouldn't happen if you weren't here. Thanks for all the creativity and time so many of you have donated in 2009, and we're looking forward to an even bigger and better 2010 and beyond!

--
Original update published on January 1, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you to Chris and all the CIC staff who continue to put in their time, money and effort into keeping this community alive. And the ones who have contributed in the past as well, of course. None of us would be here without you.

Bonne annee, mes amis!

So how much would it cost to keep the domain name through 2020? Just curious, and I would definitely be interested in contributing.

Thank you to Chris and all the CIC staff who continue to put in their time, money and effort into keeping this community alive.

Thanks!

So how old does that make the CIC? Twelve?

Yup, the CIC turns 12 this August, and the Wing Commander series turns 20 in September. Most of the staff can trace their roots back to about 1995 or so, posting to AOL Keyword: Origin, the official Origin WC Chat Zone on the web or usenet a.g.w-c/a.g.wc3. By 1996 a few of us were separately running Wing Commander news sites, and the CIC at wcnews.com formally opened in 1998.

So how much would it cost to keep the domain name through 2020? Just curious, and I would definitely be interested in contributing.

Back when we last extended the domain, it was something like $35 per year. Competition has driven the prices way down to $5-10 or so now. The main cost has always been the hardware and connection, which runs between $100-200 per month. We don't need any help with that though, the most helpful contribution is to be active here, assist with fan projects and things like that.

Thanks!

Yup, the CIC turns 12 this August, and the Wing Commander series turns 20 in September. Most of the staff can trace their roots back to about 1995 or so, posting to AOL Keyword: Origin, the official Origin WC Chat Zone on the web or usenet a.g.w-c/a.g.wc3. By 1996 a few of us were separately running Wing Commander news sites, and the CIC at wcnews.com formally opened in 1998.

And the forum started in 2000?

And the forum started in 2000?

There was an older forum but it was updated in 2000 IIRC (and in the process the older posts were lost I believe?)

Although back then a.g.w-c was still fairly active as well until most people moved over here.

There was an older forum but it was updated in 2000 IIRC (and in the process the older posts were lost I believe?)

Although back then a.g.w-c was still fairly active as well until most people moved over here.

Yeah, I kind of wish we could get those posts back. I posted quite often from 1998 to 2000 but not too much over the next five years.

I was one of the few actual vicims of the Y2K bug that I know of, IIRC. The forum pretty much started at the same time a the CIC... but before 2000 it was red instead of the blue we have now.

We had a wwwboard, which didn't save posts as it was. You clipped off the bottom when it got too long. We could have saved some of it probably, but it completely broke when the Y2K bug hit it, and we upgraded to this forum immediately after.

HAPPY HEW YEAR.....good work to all, and a very big thank you to everyone hard at work at CIC and WCNews.com....thank you...

wishing all wingnuts a very happy and healthy new year...

I'm a bit concerned about the screen shots I collected. Photobucket has been cracking down on inactive accounts. I'm giving permission to this site to archive whatever pictures you want to keep for memories/updates/anniversaries or whatever occasion comes to mind. My picture page is still fortunately active with the Wing Commander album, so I'll keep logging in about every month or two until the end of this year. I'll make a decision then on whether to keep or drop the Photobucket account.

Do you have them in a big zip maybe? I haven't used photobucket much, maybe there is a batch collector, but we could post them as a big package for people to download and view on their computers.

We had a wwwboard, which didn't save posts as it was. You clipped off the bottom when it got too long. We could have saved some of it probably, but it completely broke when the Y2K bug hit it, and we upgraded to this forum immediately after.

There's a bit more history to it.

1. matt's wwwboard: 1998 - January 1999 (trolling and technical difficulties?)
2. first ultimate bulletin board: January 1999 - December 1999 (destroyed by Y2K bug)
3. second ultimate bulletin board: January 2000 - November 2000 (technical obsolescence)
4. vbulletin: November 2000 - present

Everything from before the Y2K accident is lost, because at the time no easy conversion tools existed and we didn't yet have the technical skill to make them ourselves.

Although Late

Happy new year and may we see a PC version of WC in the near future. Consoles are for the unappreciative mass market.

Back