Hamill's game

Zebum

Spaceman
I recently read an article stating that Mark hamill had fallen out with Microsoft over a game he was making, does anyone know what this game is.

Thanks.

I think you mean Chris Roberts. His company, Digital Anvil was acquired by Microsoft. One of the games it is developing is Freelancer, a sequel to Starlancer.

I don't know anything about that. But I believe the official line to Roberts' departure from DA is that Microsoft and he disagreed over Freelancer.

I remember hearing about Hamill's game a while back at TheForce.net. I don't know if it was Microsoft, or not, but the company that was producing the game wanted more violence, IIRC, but Hamill didn't go for that.

I could be wrong, though, as I sometimes am. ;)

wtf, Chris Roberts left Digital Anvil? So what's he doing for work now... started up another software company? :(

i think he means something about a Black Pearl game,
i also remember reading something about that in an intervieuw once.

is that what you're talking about Zebum?

Freelancer

So whats happening with Freelancer? Because although it was a very rushed ending, I still loved the Starlancer missions and would jump at the chance to get Freelancer (if/when) it comes out.

I was talking about Hamill, the article said he did not agree with Microsoft's view that the game should be more violent. However it did not give a name for the game.

I can't imagine Microsoft wanting a game to be violent - and deliberately. Perhaps all these years of Flight Simulator... Train Simulator (laugh), games like Quake and Half Life being the top sellers, have finally gotten to them.

Re: Freelancer

Originally posted by redwolf
So whats happening with Freelancer? Because although it was a very rushed ending, I still loved the Starlancer missions and would jump at the chance to get Freelancer (if/when) it comes out.

When it´s done (stealing the phrase from DNF) :)

Ok, here's the jist on Mark Hamill's project.

Hamill wrote a script called "The Black Pearl" between WC3 and 4 and was still revising it after WC4. The script, which was actually a suppose to be a movie, was repeatedly passed over since Hamill demanded to be in the director's chair for it. He pointed out on an interview with Z100 Radio (while he was touring to promote WC4) that "...everyone said that Meathead (Rob Reiner) couldn't do it... and he did!". Sadly, the script, last I heard, got passed over by New Line Cinema after a 2-3 month discussion about the pre-production and budget. NLC dropped the project and showed Hamill the door.

Hamill, I suspect, went to Microsoft and tried to sell it off as a game, though for some reason I want to say that he was selling the rights to the game so when he got the movie made, MS had the rights. I dunno, it doesn't sound right but something in the back of my head is telling me that.

The movie's plot was never really talked about but I rememeber it had an Indiana Jones feel from what little he said about it on the Z1000 interview.

Could this script, perhaps, relate somehow to the Black Pearl comic book miniseries Hamill wrote some years back:)?

... I mean, it's a long shot... <G>

Back