Hakaga preview

Eder

Mr. Standoff
Disclaimer: this is a *very* early preview, not representative of the final version of the textures at all, and definitely not the best looking thing in Standoff (yet ;)):

hak.png

Feedback is welcome. Keep in mind that whatever style is used for this ship will define the style used for all the Kilrathi capships... I've tried to blend WC2, WC3, and WCP styles in there, though it doesn't quite look like WC2 or WC3 enough yet. I might make the orange more yellow-ish and the gray more tan-ish.

--Eder

Applause, worship, praise! Everything I'm doing right now. That ship is incredible. I can't wait to see the finished product from a cockpit.

Heh, Eder, I know pictures are for some people the only 'proof' of progress, but you need to stop making people drool over unfinished products and show us the completed thing. ;)

BTW, as you suggested, it might be worthwhile trying to pick the colours so they don't contrast so badly.

Hmm... the orange should be darker, I think, a kind of orange-brown. As for the gray... well, I'd make it gray-blue, but then you don't want a completely WC2 theme, do you? ;)

It definitely might be a good idea to shape the red sections more like WC2, though, so that they form claw and fang-like shapes rather than just lining the edges.

I'm thinking the texture is a little repetitive. The colours could be smoother too and not just change colour on different polygons.
Good model though.

People can't read :(

Disclaimer: this is a *very* early preview, not representative of the final version of the textures at all

I assume he just grabbed WCP Kilrathi textures and threw them on as placeholders... since that's what it looks like. Work will, I assume, involve adding detailing and 'de-repetitiving' the textures.

Originally posted by Filler
The colours could be smoother too and not just change colour on different polygons.
Ah, there's too many polygons to do that, though :p

Some triangles are around 500 meters big, so if I just slap a non-tiling texture on top of them, the pixels will look too damn big when you fly close to it.

The color patterns will probably remain as they are, although the tilling textures will probably be changed (maybe not the red one, but white and orange definitely), and some areas will receive specific textures (I'm thinking the vertical wings, the engines, and the tip of the two big wings - between their edges, the antennas/big cannons/whatever, and the engines)

TC: These aren't WCP's textures, I made them from scratch based on both my Kilrathi fighter textures, and my Confed capship textures... As I mentioned, though, the colors turned out more WCP-like than I wanted them to :( The repetitiveness will have to be broken by a few specific textures here and there, although these can't be placed on huge triangles (like the broader sections of the wings, or the forward prongs) since then each individual pixel would look too big.

--Eder

Great Job as always. I dont know what the others don't like about the textures. They are perfect in my oppinion. Can't wait to blow it to pieces. :)

BTW in this texturing stage without the protruding middle section of the ship, the design would make a perfect B5 Centauri cruiser. Can you say Primus? :D

While I like the model in general, I don't like the white textures much. I'd pefer the palette to stay whithin the red-brown-beige-blue-gray colors, except for shark mouths paintings (like those the WC2 Kilrathi capships had :) ) I mean, the white parts in WC2 looked more blue-grey.

Yeah, WC2's white was very bluish, and I'm gonna experiment with that, definitely. However, my first choice was something more along the lines of a Privateer-esque light brown/tan, but I can't seem to get that right. Still trying, though.

As for the shark mouths, what do you think? Should I put them on the Kamekh and Ralatha or not? :D

--Eder

Shark mouths rule.

The colour sheme of this ship is good in my oppinion, I like the contrasts of the different color textures. But maybe it would look even better if you make the orange textures more copper colored and try to give a light copper tone to the white textures too.

...it almost seems like there is too much wing. Too thick-looking, too stretched horizontally in places and lengthways in others. The textures... it looks far more patched than Ive ever thought of a Hakaga as, although I have no clue how that's going to look ingame.

Throw together the top of the superstructure, then show us what its like. Preferably in a working WCEdit model. :)

Hail Eder.

Looks great ... could I get a top-down shot of the textured model, like the ones in the Privateer manual?

Well, no :p Not until it's fully textured, I mean... and it depends on what you want the shot for.

--Eder

Back