Great "Ah ha!" moments when playing WC

Dead Honky

Spaceman
So I spent the entire day trying to beat the final mission of Special Operations 1 today. Until just about 15 minutes ago when I learned that I should save at least one IR missile (or preferably use only guns on the Sarthas and Gothris) so I can use that to lock onto the Fralthras far from where they can hit me with their anti-matter guns and then afterburn in, launch the sucker and dash off without a scratch. Exploiting the game engine ftw. I did shit bricks. It doesn't seem all that terrifyingly hard now.

So, does anyone have any such "Aha!" moments from the WCs?

I'm not sure if I quite understand that. Are you saying you're using the relatively short lock time of your ImRec missile to target the Fralthra and then use that lock to launch your torpedo?

Either way, the mission itself isn't hard to complete even while staying within the intended rules of the game engine. You just need to make sure you stay out of range of both Fralthras' AMGs during the lock time. Tricky, perhaps, but it's possible.

There are several torpedo tricks, in WC2, but I wasn't aware of that one.
My fav is to use the exterior camera to get the Fralthras into the VDU from any distance you choose from. So there is no narrow window to stay in during lock time. Don't use it anymore however - too boring.

I always burned in and launched my torpedoes at the last second before pulling away from the target. (in standoff I pretty much fly up the engine tailpipes).

Still it is a strange "bug", because I believe the locking time for the torpedo was to analyse the enemy's shield frequences in order to pass through them. But for that matter I never understood why i could not release Imrecs and Heatseekers without a lock on point-blank range, treating them as dumbfires.

Does anybody remember the ship view (I think F9) cheat/bug for WC1 and WC2?

You'd hit F9, which would give you a chase view of other craft in your vicinity, cycle through the targets until you find the one you need to blow up...

...then afterburn away, whilst still viewing the enemy ship, when you get far enough away - it blows up.

I think you could do the same with the rear-view from the cockpit, simply look out the back and fly away - the chasing ships would soon go up in a flash once you're out of range.

That said, I never really played much with these 'cheats' simply for not wanting to ruin the gaming experience by coming reliant on them.

Same is true now, I hate using 'shoehorn' on Standoff/WCP, but can't deny I've tried it :)

I'm not sure if I quite understand that. Are you saying you're using the relatively short lock time of your ImRec missile to target the Fralthra and then use that lock to launch your torpedo?

No. What I mean is, if you just try to lock onto the Fralthras when you have torps selected, you'll lose that lock the minute you turn more than 20-45 degrees away from them. With IRs selected, I can turn my back to them and get some distance, so I don't have to worry about them shooting off the AMGs while the torp is still prepping. I can get about 18000 clicks away and then switch to torpedos. From there, it's just a matter of afterburning till I'm under 6,000 away and then I hit em. For whatever reason the AMGs aren't so accurate when you do a straight AB at them. Also surprising is how far away I can hit them with the torpedo while doing it. Granted, I don't usually afterburn for torpedo runs and usually release around 2500 clicks.

I had one in WC... do not ask me how this happened, but I launched a torpedo at capship, only for the ship to blow up before the torpedo impacted, next thing I know, I see a large, slow missile chasing a drakhri around. It never hits because the fighter can outrun it, but it was kind of funny to watch when I realized that my torpedo had somehow aquired a fighter for a target.

I never heard of that exploit before... could you record it and post it to youtube?

I have tried to replicate it several times since, but I can't even since then, every time I shoot a torpedo right after my wingmen, it disappears in to the grayish blue.

Back