Graphics Problems

U

Unregistered

Hello,

I think there was a thread here at one point about the game not working due to graphics card drivers and the like, and that the solution was to downgrade them.

Well, My graphics card is an ASUS Extreme AX550 PCI-E, and I don't think I can get old drivers for it, well I've searched quite a lot anyway.

I'm running out of theories, so could I ask for some words of wisdom.

Cheers

Does the game still not run if you set it to use 16-bit color in the launcher options?

That is the only fix we have for some video cards right now. Mostly all ATI drivers have problems with our 32-bit color patch, as do nVidia cards running newer drivers. I don't think we have seen any newer video cards refuse to load at all when running in 16-bit color mode, though, so that may be your best bet right now.

As a side note, thanks to Pedro, PopsiclePete and HCl, we may have a permanent solution to the 32-bit problem by the time Episode 5 is released, one that should also fix other annoying graphical problems which we can't currently fix (like the crosshairs in the lens flares).

Please describe your problem so we can help you. Getting an error message ? Freeze ? As Eder said, it's probable that you have to stick to 16-bits...

well, it runs for a while in 16 bit mode, but the only problem is that it invariably boots me out with a Standoff has caused an error in <unknown> message.

It might run fine for 15 to 30 minutes, then it dies.

Hummm... that's strange. What's your OS ? WinXP ? What drivers are you using ? Wich version ? Have you set the compatibility on the EXE to Win95 ?

Hummm... that's strange. What's your OS ? WinXP ? What drivers are you using ? Wich version ? Have you set the compatibility on the EXE to Win95 ?

I'm using win2k, XP won't install for some reason. I've put 95 compatibility mode on but it was still the same.

Ive tried a mission just now and the error message says:

FS::THREAD REQUESTSEMAPHORE & REQUESTLISTMUTEX 1 2
FS::READ WAITFORMULTIPLEOBJECTS 1 2
FS::ADDREQUEST REQUESTLISTMUTEX 128 997
FS::CLOSE REQUESTLISTMUTEX & BLOCKMUTEX & FILETABLEMUTEX 128 0

Now I don't particularly know what any of it means, but I'm sure it will shed some light as to whats going on.

Thanks again

Standoff is, like many games, a pain to get working under Win2k. Here are a few things I'd suggest to check:

• Is Service Pack 4 installed ?
  • Is the lastest DirectX installed ?
  • This may sound silly, but do you have a functioning sound card properly configured ?
  • Have you moved or copied Secret Ops folder ? It has to stay in the original forder from when you installed it.
  • Under Win2k, the compatibility mode can only be set on a shortcut; have you made a shortcut specifically for "standoff.exe" and set this shortcut for Win95 compatibility ? Then use this shortcut instead of the launcher to run the game (using the launcher only to configure it).
  • Do you have multiple Windows user set up on your machine ? Have all the installations been made with the same user you're trying to run the game with ? There may be a NTFS access list issue here.

it seems to be working just fine now, thanks a lot.

I never thought of making a direct shortcut, ah well it's working now.

Thanks

Alright ! And please consider registering on the forums ;) It'll also allow you to participate to the online scoreboards.

Sorry guys, my mistake, the message just showed up a little later in the game.

I think I have everything on the above list, I guess my damn computer is just stubborn, ah well thanks anyways. :)

Back