Got a great deal on eBay, but is WC1/2 worth the trouble to play?

sheddle

Spaceman
I was in a space-sim mood after I read an article about the genre's death, and scored a great, great deal on eBay for most of the WC series in one lot. The problem is, WC1/2 are absolutely torture to run in dosBox. If there's more than three or four ships on the screen, it turns into a slideshow, and if I bump the cycles up, everything else becomes intolerably fast. I've tried a few missions with III/IV, and other than a few minor issues, everything works at a reasonable speed. I've tried all the core/cycles options in dosBox, but nothing seems to help.

What I'm asking is if I'm going to miss out on something huge if I go straight to WC III, and save I/II for an old computer to restore, or if I need to read up on some scripts, or what. I've never played this series before (except a bit of Prophecy back in middle school), so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

What I'm asking is if I'm going to miss out on something huge if I go straight to WC III, and save I/II for an old computer to restore, or if I need to read up on some scripts, or what. I've never played this series before (except a bit of Prophecy back in middle school), so any help is appreciated. Thanks.

I played the series in order and can't really imagine doing it otherwise. Gameplay wise, it'll be fine, and the story will still be excellent- but 3 wraps up a number of things that we saw first in II, and II was an incredible sequel, in turn, to I... if I were you, however, I wouldn't wait to jump straight into III, if only for the gameplay.

I highly recommend you post your DOSBox troubles to the tech support forum. Skipping straight to WC3 is something I would not advise, unless you absolutely have to. The experience of watching Chris Blair from the 'Claw to WC on the Victory is an amazing journey. Watching the evolution of the gameplay and story is much better done in the game itself opposed to reading dialogue scripts or mission walkthroughs.

I'm sure our local tech gurus can help you get DOSBox running smoothly on your machine.

Back