Goodbye Scotty, may you rest among the stars.....

Sylvester

Vice Admiral
Reuters: "Star Trek's" Scotty, James Doohan, dead at 85

"LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Actor James Doohan, best known as the feisty, Scottish-accented chief engineer on television's original "Star Trek" series -- a role immortalized by the catch phrase "Beam me up, Scotty" -- died on Wednesday at age 85, his manager said."

I'm sure many of us here at the CIC are also Star Trek fans and even if you are not, everyone can appreciate the work that James Doohan did during his career. From landing as an artillery officer in the Royal Canadian Army on Juno beach in World War II to manning the transporter console on the Enterprise, everyone knows who Scotty is. I believe I speak for all when I say that we will miss him greatly.

"Beam me up Scotty"

Yeah, that's sad. :( Seemed he would be the next one to go. He actually just had another daughter five years ago, and he lived pretty near to here.

Actually, Kirk reportedly never used the "beam me up Scotty" line

And yes, very sad news.

He had a good, long run - far longer than many of us will probably have - and he was a fine man.

Godspeed, Mr. Doohan.

I posted this on the VS site a few minutes ago. Sad, very sad.

I echo the sentiments of others: Godspeed and farewell.

Yeah just heard about this a little bit ago. Truly sad, I still love the original series of Star trek and with each passing of the characters it just seals the sad truth that there will never be anymore with those characters. Well, perhaps Scotty is enjoying a drink or two with Dr. McCoy...

Maj.Striker said:
Well, perhaps Scotty is enjoying a drink or two with Dr. McCoy...

Which, of course, will be identified solely as "it's green".

(Damn Picard for taking away the joke. :p )

It's a strangely fitting day, though. Today's the 36th anniversary of the Apollo moon landings. Just remembered that.

I certainly didn't know the man, but I admire his StarTrek work- I always will.
"I know this ship like the back of my hand.... 'bump'..."_stratrek V

I just saw the headline about his passing at work that was on our local county paper while I working on the paper's assembly a few hours ago. It's very sad, he was also one of my favorite all-time Star Trek characters. Rest in peace forever.
Semi-off topic: The headline's tittle was "Scotty Beams Up"...anyone else find that cheesy and very unfitting besides myself? ohwell....I don't write the junk.

Yep, "Scotty" will be missed. But I'll mourn more the passing of the hero James Doohan, who landed on Juno beach June 6th, 1944. He got shot up pretty good, lost his right middle finger, and his silver cigartte case stopped the bullet to his chest. Yeah, those cigarettes will kill you. He requested some of his ashes be launched into space, joining Gene Roddenberry. Farewell, old friend.

Marc said:
I certainly didn't know the man, but I admire his StarTrek work- I always will.
"I know this ship like the back of my hand.... 'bump'..."_stratrek V

I read somewhere that it was the scene Doohan despised the most because he thought it made Scotty look like a fool, but Shatner insisted that it be included in the movie.

Apparently Doohan didn't like Shatner too much. That's a shame, but understandable. Still, Shatner is my favorite character from any of the Star Treks.

James Doohan was really a tough guy. It took three serious chronicle diseases to take him down. I hope I'm half as though as him. Farewell and Godspeed.

Back