Garriott on Social Gaming (September 24, 2010)

ChrisReid

Super Soaker Collector / Administrator

Origin founder Richard Garriott delivered the Fantastic Fest keynote address in Austin yesterday, and he talked a little bit about what he's doing next and where he sees opportunity in the games industry. The big push behind his new company, Portalarium, is to develop "social" games that go beyond the current casual gaming crop. Joystiq has some fun quotes below. Some of the comments jokingly referred to an Ultima/Farmville crossover, but Lord of Ultima is already here!

Displaying a slide about going "back to my roots," Garriott said his company planned to make "AAA games, meaning the games we find compelling to create and play, but distributed through social media." Why that medium? "The power is in that you don't have to make a decision to buy it, you play it by clicking on a link, nothing to pay for up front, no real installation and only if you decide you really want to play it will we decide how to eventually charge you money for it."

Later, in response to an audience question, he explained his strategy a bit further. "Since everybody else is doing Flash and Java games, I can kick their ass pretty easy."

--
Original update published on September 24, 2010

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Chris, I've been reading this site for yeeeears. Used to post in the newsgroup and on the forums a liiiiiittle (can't remember my old email address). I love this site, it's great. I like how you guys sometimes post about Ultima related stuff, or Origin related stuff.

I don't suppose you guys know if there's any active sites out there like the CiC, but for Ultima??

Hey Chris, I've been reading this site for yeeeears. Used to post in the newsgroup and on the forums a liiiiiittle (can't remember my old email address). I love this site, it's great. I like how you guys sometimes post about Ultima related stuff, or Origin related stuff.

Cool, welcome aboard! I do like to post the Ultima stuff, because it feels connected to Wing Commander. It's nice to know that a game Origin made is still alive and kicking with new updates, and the people who make Ultima are very very Wing Commander-friendly.

I don't suppose you guys know if there's any active sites out there like the CiC, but for Ultima??

The official news site is the UO Herald at http://www.uoherald.com/news/

The closest thing to the CIC is probably UO Stratics http://uo.stratics.com/

Back